Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Hotel Experience Expectations (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/hotel-experience-expectations-775035/)

niteflite Mar 25th, 2009 08:31 AM

Hotel Experience Expectations

i will be visiting europe for the first time (paris, london, etc.). i'm staying mostly at hilton family hotels.

can anyone tell me what i can expect in overall experience compared to hotels in the states? and specifically,

1. do they have converters for my electric shaver and computer laptop power cord
2. what do they charge for internet connection
3. do they provide shampoo and soap and all that? haha. just want to be sure!
4. are tips expected for daily housekeeping
5. are tips expected for concierge service

Thanks all!

Cowboy1968 Mar 25th, 2009 08:44 AM

In general (!!!):

1. Shaver: Yes, but check if the socket in the bathroom is labelled "110V". Laptop: Converter not necessary (but check power unit: it should say 100-240V, 50/60Hz), just adapter for the plug to fit in the socket.

2. Depends. At places like the Hilton, I would suspect they do charge. And often not little. You will have to check the website of each hotel you plan to stay at to find the exact fee.

3. Yes

4. No

5. Depends, but yes, for the "usual special services", like getting you tickets for a concert. But not when you just ask for the time or have them call a cab.

ParisAmsterdam Mar 25th, 2009 09:20 AM

You should have a plug adapter for your computer... it's all you'll need and they only cost a couple of dollars. Check the power brick for your computer... if it has "110-240v" and "50-60hz" you are good just with the plug adapter. A converter implies some that changes the voltage... that function is already built in to any modern laptop. A small travel surge protector is something many people overlook taking though...

Internet connection... we stayed at the Eiffel Tower Hilton last summer. (It's no longer a Hilton) For a week's worth of internet the price was over 100 euros! Very pricey. You can check at your hotel but I wouldn't be surprised if the charges are similar.

I bit the bullet and paid the price... in part because we had the room via Priceline for just $141 US a night.

Rob

nona1 Mar 25th, 2009 09:24 AM

McDonalds have free WIFI connections and you'll find it in a lot of coffee shops as well, if the hotel is charging you and arm and a leg.

nytraveler Mar 25th, 2009 09:35 AM

For electronic you need to bring your own european style plus (British and continental are different) and a converter if the appliance is not labeled 110/220.

Don;t know what the Hiltons charge for internet connections - you need to contact each hotel - some are very expensive.

Most hotels will provide shampoo and soap (exept VERY low budget ones) but you may not find other goodies. Many european hotels (even upscale) do not have wash cloths - have never figured this out.

Yes, you leave a modest tip for the housekeeper.

If and how much you tip the concierge depends on what services you use - just like here. (From nothing for handing you a map or booking you onto a bus tour - they get a cut of the price - to a modest tips - $5 or $10 - if they find you tickets or dinner reservations - to a lot if they get you tickets to a major sold out event or perform some special service.

chartley Mar 25th, 2009 10:13 AM

I interviewed a guy once who was the concierge at an expensive hotel in Bath. I had to ask him how much he was paid. He said that the hotel guests would tip him if he recommended a restaurant to them. The restaurant owners also all knew him, and never charged him if he had a meal at their restaurants. So he gained both ways.

I don't doubt that this meant he knew all the local restaurants well, and could suggest a suitable one. But it also meant that he was unlikely to recommend one that didn't play the game.

Cowboy1968 Mar 26th, 2009 08:24 AM

nytraveler is right: If you need/ like a wash cloth, bring one with you.
People use shower gel instead of soap here. I would not know anyone who used a bar of soap and wash cloth when taking a shower.
Hotels either have the well-known little bottles and small bars of soap, or wall-mounted dispensers for liquid soap and shower gel.