Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Hotel Eurostars Excelsior in Naples -- I don't get it! (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/hotel-eurostars-excelsior-in-naples-i-dont-get-it-1077121/)

Philip Oct 31st, 2015 05:41 AM

Hotel Eurostars Excelsior in Naples -- I don't get it!

6 people -- 3 rooms -- Hotel Excelsior Naples Italy -- 1 night in April '16 -- leaving very early next morning for return from vacation to USA. I made a reservation for my wife and I couple months ago by sending email directly to Hotel. Have been trying to help the other travelers make their reservations. Therein is the problem -- have send three emails directly to hotel NO RESPONSE -- have sent an email to Eurostar NO RESPONSE. Have tried to make reservations through their website -- NO RATES/ROOMS SHOWING. This has been going on for about 3 weeks.

This is an established 4 star hotel? Tried to make reservations through the booking services on TripAdvisor NO LUCK . I thought that maybe they don't take reservations before 5 months before arrival date. Tried this morning and that is not it because showing no rates/rooms for last part of March '16. Guess I can wait a few months and see if their website shows availability. Yes yes I know -- I make reservations very early for overseas trips because don't want to be disappointed or have to settle for our 2nd/3rd choice.

Maybe just venting but has anybody else tried to make reservations with Hotel Excelsior? Any suggestions? Any hotel alternatives that are very nice with great location (Grand Hotel Vesuvio -- anybody stayed there)? If we end up able to make reservations, should we expect this total lack of service at the hotel?

hetismij2 Oct 31st, 2015 05:53 AM

I just looked at it on Booking.com. It shows the hotel as being sold out throughout April. It is available in March, but again not in May. Rather odd.

annhig Oct 31st, 2015 05:57 AM

that is odd.

perhaps make reservations elsewhere on a "free cancellation" basis just in case.

Philip Oct 31st, 2015 06:03 AM

Thanks. I think I will take annhig suggestion and make a refundable reservation at the Grand Vesuvio. Thanks hetismij2 -- I just went back -- for the millionth time -- to the Hotel's website but they don't show availability for May. I will keep watch with Booking.com as well.

StCirq Oct 31st, 2015 06:03 AM

Have you picked up the phone and called them?

Philip Oct 31st, 2015 06:13 AM

No but I thought about that. However, they don't show a US number on Excelsior's or Eurostars's website -- only Italian. I may fall into that old express - Penny wise and pound foolish.

StCirq Oct 31st, 2015 06:26 AM

Well, I certainly wouldn't expect them to have a US number. Just call. How much can it cost? If you use skype, practically nothing.

Dayle Oct 31st, 2015 07:01 AM

I would just call. There may be a plan for major renovations or a problem with their booking calendar on the website. There may be an ownership change coming up, any number of reasons.

And - there ARE other hotels. You are only staying one night. Perhaps this is not such a big deal?

Nonconformist Oct 31st, 2015 07:31 AM

If you hadn't already booked for yourself I would think they might be planning renovations or something. Is the date in question at Easter? Could they have booked up? A wedding? Some big event in Naples? Or maybe it's a computer glitch their end. I agree you should ring and speak to someone in person to figure out what's going on.

janisj Oct 31st, 2015 08:10 AM

>> they don't show a US number on Excelsior's or Eurostars's website -- only Italian.<<

Why would an Italian hotel have a US number? I would have called the the very first time your friend's booking failed. Can't imagine not doing so. It is just possible you got the last available room. You need to talk to them . . .

Dukey1 Oct 31st, 2015 09:19 AM

it is called a telephone. If they don't answer you know what to do.

nytraveler Oct 31st, 2015 10:23 AM

In this situation you should just CALL them. Can be solved easily in a minute or two. Perhaps there is a meeting in town and the hotel is one of the official ones.

Christina Oct 31st, 2015 10:39 AM

Don't be so cheap, even if you don't have Skype (I don't), an occasional international phone call isn't going to bankrupt you. How long could such a call take, maybe 10 minutes?

If you have some odd plan that charges $5 a minute or something, use one of those dial-around services like telna. I've used them before, worked fine. http://www.dialaroundworld.com/howtodialitaly.htm

bvlenci Oct 31st, 2015 12:35 PM

I am almost certain you're trying to book too far in advance, if they have availability in March but not in April or May.

Island45 Oct 31st, 2015 02:31 PM

We have stayed at Grand Hotel Vesuvio....was a wonderful place, beautiful sea view...Hotel staff was MORE than accommodating...I would highly recommend it. This was about 4 years ago we stayed and would stay again...If I remember correctly a nice breakfast was included.

Fra_Diavolo Oct 31st, 2015 04:07 PM

The Excelsior is a nice hotel, worth persevering. On the other hand, the Vesuvio and the other . . . Santa Lucia? . . . are all in a row and I think pretty much the same. I noticed the soaps and shampoos had the names of all three hotels, last time I was there.