Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Hotel Eugenie, Hotel Des Ecoles, 6th Paris Good Choices?

Jul 14th, 2001, 06:44 PM
Mike

Will be staying in Paris early November. Wish to know if anyone has stayed at either of these hotels and what facilities, size of room are like. Particularly want a mini bar, this location and not to pay more than 800 francs per night. What is it about not eating in rooms in some Paris hotels? Any other recommendations within this price range and area are welcome. We last stayed at the Hotel De La Faculte, room was very small.

Jul 14th, 2001, 08:29 PM
Randy

Mike:
Check out this web site: http://www.parishotels.com/

I have stayed at the Hotel Residence Monge, 55, rue Monge, 75005 Paris and at the above web site. Price 450FF+ for a single and 650FF+ for a double. Rooms are clean, have mini bar and I ate in the room. There is a Mini-Market across the street and to the north of the hotel that would have about anything you might need. Julie at the desk was most helpful and there are two metro stops near by. Rooms are not large, but adaquate. I would also recommend that you call the hotel directly to make your reservations and you will have to conferm via fax with a credit card number, fill out the form from the web site and fax it directly to the hotel.

Jul 15th, 2001, 05:12 AM
adrienne

Hi Mike,

Just returned from Paris and stayed at the Hotel des Grandes Ecoles. It was charming. The rooms are about the usual size but decorated with a floral wallpaper. The beds had crocheted bedspreads and the bathroom was very modern and recently redone. There was a small round table and 2 side chairs so you could eat there. All the staff were friendly. There was no mini bar but you could buy drinks from the reception desk and there was ice available in the kitchen. The wonderful thing about this hotel was the garden with tables and chairs where we were served breakfast and you could bring a picnic dinner. Although November will probably be too cold and damp for eating outside. You might ask the management if you can bring back a picnic supper and eat in the dining room. The rue Moufftard market is a 5 minute walk and there are small grocery stores within a 2 minute walk. There’s also a pizzeria a couple of doors away and you can eat there or take away. There’s security access to the outside gate as well as to the individual buildings (I think there’s 2 separate buildings.) There’s also a night manager. The price for a double room was 630ff.

Adrienne

Jul 18th, 2001, 02:23 AM
Mike

Thanks for the info on the Hotel Des Ecoles, it is most appreciated and very detailed. We have since found out that the Hotel took out the minibars in April. This location would be ideal, but need somewhere to store perishables.
The Hotel Residence Monge appears to be booked at the time we intend to travel.
Does anyone know the Eugenie Hotel in the 6th?
Our search is continuing for somewhere to stay in the 6th.

Jul 24th, 2001, 12:25 PM
Carol

I know a lot of the Best Western hotels have mini bars you might try them.

My other suggestion is something I am thinking of doing. Take one of those fold up coolers and just put ice in it. I assume you can get ice from the hotel or maybe buy it at the grocery. If you can't get ice, buy cheap frozen goods!

Jul 24th, 2001, 12:45 PM
Surlok

I haven't stayed at the Eugenie, but a friend of mine did, and she liked the hotel. It's a friendly, small hotel, in a very busy and centrally located street, St. Andre des Arts, in the 6th, that I particularly enjoy very much. It was refurbished recently.