Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Hotel Esmeralda (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/hotel-esmeralda-256472/)

Jennie Sep 9th, 2002 10:52 AM

Hotel Esmeralda

Hi everyone:<BR><BR>I've enjoyed reading the posts here over the past couple of weeks. I'm going to Europe next year and have, so far, gotten a lot of helpful information from here.<BR><BR>My question is about the Hotel Esmeralda on rue St. Julien le Pauvre in the Latin Quarter in Paris. Has anyone stayed there or heard anything one way or the other about this place? I've read some pretty good reviews on various travel sites (including Fodors), but have seen some pretty sketchy reviews from actual guests. Any information anyone might have would be appreciated.<BR><BR>Thanks,<BR>Jennie

Jennie Sep 9th, 2002 01:25 PM

Shamelessly topping.<BR><BR>Anyone??? . . . Bueller??? <BR><BR>Jennie

Fred Sep 9th, 2002 02:26 PM

That's the hotel featured in "Linnea in Monet's Garden," a must read to any young children going to Paris. Here are some comments from people who stayed there:<BR><BR>Hotel Esmeralda (1 star left bank)-<BR>no credit cards<BR>charming, "a little scrappy", <BR>It's very unadorned, but clean and friendly. <BR>can get rooms with or without shower.<BR>avoid it - It's dirty, cramped, and unfriendly. <BR>landmark dusty old very french hotel<BR>loved it.<BR>walked out after being showed the room.<BR>dirty, cluttered and miniscule.<BR>We found the rooms dirty, smelly, and small<BR>For more Paris information e-mail me: [email protected]

angela Sep 9th, 2002 03:17 PM

Jennie, I stayed there about 8 years ago so I don't know if the review is worth anything at this point. It suited us well because it was cheap and the location across from Notradame was wonderful.In fact we could see the cathedral from the room. The room was small, the bathroom TINY. It was all rather old fashioned which I rather liked but I can imagine many Americans more accustomed to more modern hotels might hate it. It was a very quirky very french sort of place and I wanted some character/charm on a budget but now I'd problably want something more comfortable. Don't know if that helps?

xxx Sep 9th, 2002 09:42 PM

I've never stayed there and don't think I will ever. I've read all reviews and they all seem to say that it's not a hotel for everyone. It's very old and in need of maintenance plus it's very quirky.

Jennie Sep 10th, 2002 07:37 AM

Thanks to all for the information! It is much appreciated!<BR><BR>Jennie

xxx Sep 10th, 2002 07:43 AM

<BR>A "hotel that's not for everyone" is still a hotel for someone. <BR><BR>I am certainly not "for everyone" either, but my wife still loves me and wouldn't want anyone else.

BTilke Sep 10th, 2002 09:08 AM

If you rent the movie "Company Business" (Gene Hackman, Mikhail Baryshnikov), a few scenes are set in the Esmerelda.

Lisa Sep 10th, 2002 06:28 PM

I am a children's librarian and we used to stay at the Esmeralda every time that we went to Paris. The last 2 times were a big disappointment. The location can't be beat as the dramatic owner and her animals...but the rooms were quite dusty and the sinks had cockroaches...not a place that I'd care to return to....Lisa

IMO Sep 10th, 2002 06:59 PM

The place is a total dump, with rude staff to boot. There's absolutely no reason, in a city like Paris with thousands of good hotel choices, to patronize this sleazebag hotel.