Search

Hotel Duomo in Siena

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2nd, 2005, 06:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotel Duomo in Siena

Hi
Looking for some fodorite input, I've already checked tripadvisor. Info here on the Duomo is either non-specific or old.

Thinking of spending one night in Siena next spring. I'd be arriving by train from Rome, and departing by bus for Florence, so logistics to and from the train and bus station are part of the thought process.
Any tips or comments about rooms at the hotel?
Old Nov 2nd, 2005, 09:41 AM

elaine,

My information falls into the "old" ctegory. We stayed at the Duomo in October 1998, and were very pleased with the location and our room (great view of the Duomo, pretty little rooftop area to enjoy).

We arrived by train and took a taxi to the hotel. The bus station is, however, easily walkable from the hotel.

I wish I could be of more help to you, since you and your files have been invaluable to us on lots of trips!

Byrd

Old Nov 2nd, 2005, 10:46 AM

Elaine, the location is hard to beat in town but the transport connections will all be in the lower town--it will be some small hassle. The other good hotel in town is Palazzo Piccilomini--a nice 4 star but not as well located.
Old Nov 2nd, 2005, 10:52 AM

Elaine, my info is also in the old category. We stayed there in 2001; it was clean, conveniently located, etc. Took a taxi from the train station, no problem at all.

Try to get a room with a view of the rooftops of Siena if you can. We were in a triple, so our room was spacious. I didn't see the doubles/singles. The bathroom was big and modern, with a good shower (no water all over the floor).
Old Nov 2nd, 2005, 11:18 AM

We stayed at the Duomo in May 2004. our room was on the front and was very noisy--not sure exactly what was going on in the narrow street below but there was plenty of activity at all hours of the night. To get a quiet room on the back you will have to pay more. The elevator did not accommodate all floors--it may have gone to the rooftop. It was not a charming hotel and the desk clerks a bit surly. The only positive thing I can say is the bed was comfortable and location fine.
Old Nov 2nd, 2005, 11:22 AM
Original Poster

This is good information, even if old

The location doesn't change, and I hope the roof and view haven't either.

A 3-star should be fine for just this one night, and I understand they have a lift.

bobthe, my understanding is that the train station is outside the city walls and down the hill from town (I'll take a taxi), but the bus station is walkable or a shorter ride from the city center (Campo), yes?
I think since the last time I was there the bus station may have been relocated.
Old Nov 2nd, 2005, 11:29 AM

Oh, too funny, nini! The most positive I can think of about this hotel is that the desk clerks went WAY out their way to help us. We were in a bit of a pickle, heading to Cinque Terre with no accommodations, Italian holiday weekend, very poor planning on our part. The women at the desk really helped us out.One even called her cousin, whose boyfriend owned a villa in Tuscany to see if we could stay there, swim, ride bikes, etc.

Guess the staff changed, or we were just lucky. You never know.
Old Nov 2nd, 2005, 11:37 AM
Original Poster

nini, I hadn't seen your comment when I last posted.

I WAS hoping for a bit of charming, even at a 3-star, along with the good location.
Old Nov 2nd, 2005, 12:37 PM

I was there in Spring 2002. I'd agree that it doesn't fall into the "charming" category, except for the roof top where I enjoyed sitting and reading my guidebooks.

The staff friendly to me. The room was small and plain but clean and functional. The location was excellent. I'd stay there again, but I'm one who doesn't mind a simple room (I prefer to spend my money on food & wine!).

I took a taxi from the train station, so I can't comment on the bus stop location. As for Siena itself, I loved it there.
Old Nov 2nd, 2005, 01:28 PM

Someone (and I'm afraid I don't remember who) posted fairly recently that the Hotel Duomo in Siena was doing what I believe is called the dynamic currency conversion, i.e., instead of charging in Euro, they convert the credit card charges immediately to dollars - at an extremely unfavorable rate. Be aware and insist that they charge in Euro.
Old Nov 2nd, 2005, 01:29 PM

Three stars does not guarantee charm and as I learned on my recent trip to Bruges, even four stars can give you a sterile and generic room. For the price of the Hotel Duomo I expected a nicer room. It was a little warm and under normal circumstances I would have turned on the AC--but it was controlled centrally for the entire hotel. We were told it would not be turned on until well into summer or when it became unbearably hot as AC is very expensive in Siena. Elaine, if you will be there for only one night and the location works for you, then you may find it to suit you just fine. I would not stay there again. I have to admit I am a B&B/small inn traveller when possible.
Old Nov 2nd, 2005, 03:46 PM
Original Poster

Well, I think I feel a bit put off by it now. Siena is so olde worlde beautiful, I'd hate to come back to plastic furniture or a motel 6 kind of room. Maybe I should keep looking.
Old Nov 2nd, 2005, 04:02 PM

I think the reports of dynamic currency conversion were for the Hotel Duomo in Orvieto.

As for transportation to/from Siena, the train station is at the bottom of the hill, outside the old city walls. There is a shuttle bus that goes up/down the hill to centro, leaving from right across the street from the train station (buy tix inside). The SITA and other buses arrive/depart from inside the city walls. I think it's P. Gramsci or something like that; don't have my map here right now. And I believe it's just up the street from where the buses used to stop a few years ago. The Hotel Chuisarelli is just about right there. Hope this helps.
Old Nov 2nd, 2005, 04:23 PM

Hi Elaine: I traveled from Rome to Siena by bus in September. The bus leaves Rome's Tiburtina station and stops in Siena at Piazza Gramsci. From there it was an easy walk for me to walk to my hotel which was very close to Il Campo. The buses are large, clean and comfortable. The scenery along the way was lovely.
I stayed at Piccolo Hotel Etruria. The location is great, the room was clean but it is a VERY basic, budget hotel - no charm. The 50 euro/night charge for a single with private bath is what made me decide to stay there.
Old Nov 2nd, 2005, 06:26 PM

Sorry, I must be getting senile---I read Hotel Duomo in Orvieto.
Old Nov 2nd, 2005, 07:24 PM

we stayed in the Palazzo Ravizza (my spelling is hideous but I'm not near my Italy books) and loved it. Don't know much about the Hotel Duomo except that we passed by it a few times. Ravizza is charming, old and has an excellent restaurant. The walls are thin in some of the sub/sub divided rooms but the larger ones are great.
Old Nov 3rd, 2005, 05:35 AM
Original Poster

I had thought that from Rome to Siena, the better option was train but maybe that can be bus as well.
I've never taken an intercity bus in Italy before, so may check this out, since it's a relatively short trip.

I had been much taken with reviews of the Palazzo Ravizza, but it's significantly more expensive. I already have my hotel splurge worked out for this trip, Siena wasn't going to be the splurge.

I've also read good things about the Chiusarelli, but most reviews say it lacks charm and so can't see any advantage over the Duomo. There's the Santa Caterina, but that's also at the bottom of the hill at the walls.

I could just daytrip from Rome or from Florence, maybe that will keep things simpler and actually easier. It will be early April, so the daytripping crowds shouldn't be at their worst.
Old Nov 3rd, 2005, 05:39 AM

Il Campo at night, along with the rest of Siena, is quite nice. I think it's worth staying there (even in an unexciting hotel) vs. a day trip.
Old Nov 3rd, 2005, 05:44 AM
Original Poster

Where is the Rome intercity bus station?
Anywhere near Termini?
Old Nov 3rd, 2005, 06:36 AM

The Tiburtina station is not close to Termini, I took a taxi to get to it from the Pantheon area and it took about 15 minutes to get there. The bus ride to Siena takes about 3 hours.
I agree with alan64, Siena is worth staying in overnight, Il Campo has a special feel to it at night.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -