Hotel DuBost or Des Artistes in Lyon?

Aug 29th, 2003, 03:36 AM
Original Poster

Hotel DuBost or Des Artistes in Lyon?

Thanks to everyone for helping me in my previous post regarding choosing a hotel in Lyon. I have received a quote from the Hotel duBost for 80 euro's for 2 nights (Bon weekend special) and the des Artistes for 80 euro's per night. Would I be happy with the duBost? We are not looking for anything fancy since we will probably be out of the hotel most of the time sightseeing. Really all we want is a clean comforable room in a good location. Any help.
Aug 29th, 2003, 09:58 AM

I stayed at the Hotel DuBost at the end of April this spring. I thought it was a nice, clean, perfectly adequate two star hotel. The room was decently sized for a French hotel room. The breakfast area was bright and pleasant. Personally paying twice as much for another hotel would not give me twice as much pleasure. I've not stayed at nor seen the Artistes.

You're conveniently located right outside the Perrache train station. In some cities the train station area is not very pleasant. I didn't notice that at all with Perrache. The Place Carnot in front is pretty. A pedestrian shopping street takes off from the north side of Carnot and runs to Place Bellecour. Both tram lines start at Perrache. You can catch the subway at Perrache or walk a bit north and catch it at Ampere. Several times I walked north to Bellecour and caught the subway there since it was a pleasant stroll.

Since you're there on a weekend, there's a market on Sunday mornings in the Place Carnot in front of the DuBost. One corner had a "chien marche" with several people selling the cutest little puppies and kittens. Grab a rotisserie chicken with roasted potatoes and have a picnic lunch right there. It smelled wonderful.
Aug 29th, 2003, 10:26 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your reply Indy. With your recommendation I think I will book it. We really aren't too fussy but just need something clean with a bathroom. Now that we have saved some money any great restaurant suggestions.
Aug 29th, 2003, 10:33 AM

The Chabert family operates 3 restaurants along r. des Marrionners. I ate at the original one and it was excellent. Of the other two one has a seafood focus and the other a meat focus. Ate a couple of other meals along the same street and had two more very good meals there.

The street is a block east of Place Bellecour and runs north and south.

Search this Thread