Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Hotel Du Louvre in Paris - What Do You Think?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26th, 1999, 06:02 AM
Sara

I am considering staying at the Hotel Du Louvre in Paris with my husband and 4 year old. I can't find any information in Fodor's about this property. Does anyone have any experience staying there? Thanks!

Old Jul 26th, 1999, 06:45 AM
Beth

Sara-- <BR>In 1997 I spent the month of October in Europe. The last 4 days of that trip were spent in Paris. We stayed at the Hotel Du Louvre as a way to celebrate the last days of our trip. It was well worth it. The hotel is beautiful, the rooms well appointed. Even with all that, the best part was the staff. They were so helpful. The concierge especially. All we had to do was mention what we wanted to do or see and he had a suggestion. He arranged our trip to Versaille, along with a special dinner for our last night. I really enjoyed that hotel. It is also very central. The walk up the Avenue de l'Opera is a shoppers paradise, ending up at Galeries Lafayette. One very large department store that goes on for blocks! Its also a short walk to the Louvre, the gardens and the Champs Elysee. We thoroughly enjoyed the Hotel du Louvre.

Old Jul 26th, 1999, 07:21 AM
Paul J

Hi Sara: We also stayed at the Hotel du Lourve in the Fall of '97 for 8 days. Although our room was somewhat plain it was spotless. The bathroom was the largest of any hoteI we've ever stayed in. It had all the "goodies" The cocktail lounge (bar) is really special. It is a wonderful hotel. Location is excellent. We walked to just about everything. The concierge was very helpful. You should not be disappointed. Enjoy your stay in Paris.....Paul J <BR>

Old Jul 26th, 1999, 02:03 PM
Sandra

Sounds great! Whats the price of a double room? I'm considering going in early Oct. <BR>Cheers Sandra

Old Jul 28th, 1999, 05:29 PM
Karyn

Sara, <BR> <BR>Fabulous hotel! A real find! We've been recommending it to everyone. My husband and I spent Christmas and New Year's there last year. As everyone else indicates, the concierge staff is amazing (Jean-Marie especially). The lounge is really spectacular and the bar staff great. Our room was wonderful with a balcony that you could climb out onto and look down the street at the Opera House. Can't ask for a better location - we walked everywhere. With all the hype about the Ritz and Hotel Crillion, we went to both to have a drink and agreed that the atmosphere at the Hotel du Louvre was much better. It's part of the Concorde Hotel chain, go to www.concorde-hotels.com and check it out. We liked it so much we are heading back this Christmas! Have fun.

Old Jul 29th, 1999, 08:22 AM
David

We stayed at the Hotel du louvre in late April (of '99) for part of our honeymoon. The hotel is fantastic- great location, good service, a very good restaurant, an excellent bar, outstanding concierge, and a metro station across the street. The room was plain, but clean, with a safe, and a refrigerator with $5.00 sodas etc. I would recommend this hotel to any American tourist for the simple fact that almost everyone that worked at the hotel (including the restaurant)spoke English and were very courteous, although sometimes the words can SEEM to get misunderstood, which leads me to a story- An American tourist woman walked up to the Bartender and asked where the womans restroom was and he replyed "we don't have one of those", then she laughed and said "quit joking with me, where is the restroom?" He said "we don't have a restroom madmoiselle". She realized he wasn't joking and walked away. Then the bartender sorta "chuckled". <BR> <BR>The only complaint we had was when we first arrived and attempted to check into our room at 2 pm- they said the room was not ready and asked if we could come back in a couple of hours! Lets see here, we just flew 10 hours to get here, we are in a "strange" country, we can't speak the lanquage very well, we have all our luggage for a two week trip with us- WHERE IN THE HELL ARE WE SUPPOSE TO GO FOR TWO HOURS?! Two hours later (after waiting in the bar and lobby, feeling really scummy) I ask about the room again- and they said "the (french word for maid) had to go to lunch, so it will be another hour or so"...We felt like hostages. About an hour later our room was ready. Other than that, the entire trip was flawless. I would recommend the hotel, as we plan on returning to Paris and staying there again ourselves. If you need any detailed info about the hotel or Paris itself I'll be glad to help. Just e-mail me.

Old Jul 29th, 1999, 03:14 PM
Dick Hardy

I can echo the other remarks. We stayed there a couple of years ago and liked it very much. We flew in from the west coast and arrived early and, of course, our room was not ready. Rather than sit around and fret, we dropped off our baggage and took the sightseeing tour of the Seine. It was something we wanted to do anyway, and it was not far from the hotel and a great and non-stressful way of getting an introduction to Paris. We came back and our room was almsot ready. Dick

Old Jul 29th, 1999, 06:34 PM
Donna

Go for it! It's well located, gorgeous, meticulously maintained, and could not be more charming and quintessential "Parisian". As for checking in, all hotels have a standard check-in time. Obviously, they have to wait until check-out time for guests to depart so they can prepare the room for subsequent guests. However, if your room is ready, you'll be able to check in immediately. Otherwise, you'll be able to store your luggage and visit the nearby Jardins des Tuilleries (gorgeous), stroll rue de Rivoli, enjoy a hot chocolate at Angelina, or just relax in any nearby cafe, until your room is ready. This is typical of virtually any hotel in Paris. When we were there, we saw awesome street entertainers in the square outside - you will all be totally charmed! There are sights and attractions within walking distance in every direction. There's a metro stop right outside the entrance. The bar could not be more romantic. And, I can't imagine anyone describing the decor in the rooms as "plain". Elegant and tasteful would be much more accurate.

Old Aug 9th, 1999, 08:48 PM
Robinson

Does this hotel have a web-site or e-mail address?

Old Aug 10th, 1999, 05:55 AM
Beth

The cost at the time I stayed there was approx. $100 per person per night. Its not what I would consider cheap, but it is well worth it, as I think most of the folks who responded would agree. - Beth