Hotel du Lac in Varenna

Apr 26th, 2008, 11:18 AM
Original Poster

Hotel du Lac in Varenna

I have been trying to book a room there and they say that they cannot guarantee a room with a balcony or terrace because, and I quote, "not all the rooms have them". HUH? How bout I ask for one, PAY for one, and you GIVE me one in advance? Is this normal? I have not come across this anywhere else. I need a room for 2 nights in Varenna. Anybody have a great suggestion? Hotel Milano is booked.
Apr 26th, 2008, 11:24 AM

Welcome to Italy. I've run into that a lot in Italy. It seems so logical to me that they can reserve such a room, but it seems to be beyond the scope of many Italian hotels. Venice is the worst, where MOST hotels don't want to promise you a balcony or canal front room. And once, although I did it by phone and was the FIRST person to book a hotel in Positano for my dates, they said they could only request one of the "good rooms". Sure enough when we arrived -- none of those were available so we were in a not so great one.

By the way, if it's any consolation, Hotel du Lac in BELLAGIO, does guarantee balcony rooms facing the lake as does The Metropole. Must you stay in Varenna instead of Bellagio?
Apr 26th, 2008, 11:27 AM
Original Poster

Ugh. So annoying. Actually, we are off to Venice after Verenna and the Locanda Orseolo has been wonderful about giving us exact specifics of our room, what we'll see, that it has a bathtub, what it's called,,etc... Luckily, that has been our case with them. Do you know of any other good place to stay in Varenna? Hotel Milano just gave me a list, but many of those did not check out well on trip advisor.
Apr 26th, 2008, 11:28 AM
Original Poster

And we are traveling with our 9 month old baby. I DO want a "good room"! Ha!
Apr 26th, 2008, 11:30 AM
Original Poster

woops. didn't see the rest of your post, Patrick! No. I can check out those hotels in Bellagio. Varenna was recommended as very quiet and calm. That's why we chose it.
Apr 26th, 2008, 11:36 AM

While the Metropole is "in the thick of things" in Bellagio, the rooms with balconies literally hang out over the lake, so it has a certain calm as well. And if you are like many (but with the baby, maybe not) then you are likely to be away from Bellagio when the bulk of the daytrippers come in. At night it is quite quiet in my book!

It's also a really short stroll from the boat dock so very easy to get to from Varenna.

www.albergometropole.it/index.htm
Apr 26th, 2008, 11:48 AM
Original Poster

Ok. So ,I just checked for availability at the Metropole in Bellagio, and they have one Double front lake view room with a balcony that faces the front of the building, which is also the lake, i guess.
Apr 26th, 2008, 11:52 AM

I think the Metropole in Bellagio is fine as well....in Varenna, I love the Cipressi. Did you check them out? Great value; looks like a 4-5 star place at 3 star prices.
Apr 26th, 2008, 11:55 AM
Original Poster

You know I read too much, perhaps, because while that place was recommended, I read that someone was bitten by bed bugs there!
Apr 26th, 2008, 11:56 AM

which place is that?
Apr 26th, 2008, 12:00 PM
Original Poster

cipressi
Apr 26th, 2008, 12:02 PM

Wow, I had never heard that.
Apr 26th, 2008, 12:07 PM

here is the thread on my trip report last summer in case any info might be of use to you:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...=ncounty&fid=2
Apr 26th, 2008, 12:14 PM
Original Poster

so you stayed at the serbelloni?
Very pricey!
Apr 26th, 2008, 12:18 PM
Original Poster

Oh gosh. I'm sorry. I"m new at this, sleep deprived AND pregnant with the "brain drain". I am on your trip report now. Great stuff!
Apr 26th, 2008, 12:18 PM

I didn't stay there but I checked it out, as well as the Metropole. Serbelloni is definitely a special event splurge. I think it is a significant grade above the others. My next trip, I will try to stay at the Cipressi in Varenna, bedbugs or not. I wait to see a consistent pattern before believing any one particular bad report.
Apr 26th, 2008, 12:38 PM
Original Poster

How about Hotel Florence?
Apr 26th, 2008, 01:20 PM

I can relate to your "difficulties" with the duLac..we had them of a different sort in terms of reserving a certain type of room.

For the record, you CAN get a certain type of room even in difficult Venice but you pay LOTS sometimes.

Bellagio might be a better bet.

Surprise nobody mentioned the Belvedere

I would read ALL the reviews on TripAdvisor before springing for the "Villa" and no I am not a cheapskate.

Have a great trip.
Apr 26th, 2008, 01:28 PM

Hotel Florence has great reviews so I was expecting more. I didn't stay there but it did not look remarkable. I would pay less and stay at the Metropole.
Apr 26th, 2008, 01:33 PM

On one trip we looked at the Florence for future reference and they showed us a couple rooms. They were very nice and well decorated. But they didn't have AC, which concerned us as they sit back from the lake with the street going right in front of the rooms that face the lake (would we want to try to sleep with the windows open?), and the prices for the rooms with balcony or full lake view got VERY pricey for what they were, we thought.

But the restaurant at the Florence -- sitting outside by the water is wonderful.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO