Hotel Du Globe or Bonaparte

Old Oct 30th, 2002, 11:07 PM
hexy

Hotel Du Globe or Bonaparte

I need help making this decision. I can get a room at Bonaparte for 104euros(with breakfast), or at du Globe for 100euros (without), both are with street views, but on low floors. Can anyone comment on the locations, size/charm of rooms, etc? Any comments would be helpful.

Thank you.

Old Oct 31st, 2002, 02:18 AM
Fred

Both get good reviews. Keep in mind du Globe has no elevator. For more Paris information go to www.anamericaninparis.com

Old Oct 31st, 2002, 04:14 AM
Ira

I always stay at the Bonaparte when I visit Paris.
It is friendly, well located, nicely furnished, has decent-sized rooms and bathrooms, an elevator, A/C, and breakfast is brought to your room.

Old Oct 31st, 2002, 07:24 AM
David C

I stayed at Du Globe (in a double room) and did not like it. The room was extremely small, the bathroom had very little space, the towels I did not find really clean, the rug on the ground was a little filthy, I had a view of the street and it was noisy if you opened the windows and finally the staircase was so small and narrow that I nearly fell over twice when moving my luggage upstairs and downstairs.

Location wise, it was extremely close to the Metro Odeon and lots of cafes, food nearby. Skip the inroom breakfast and find a nearby cafe as it is probably 40% cheaper.

Finally, I did not find it that charming. I thought it would be by readng the reviews, but my wife hated the place.

The following are some photos:
http://www.pbase.com/davhelyymeec/hotel_du_globe

Behind the green doorsin photo 4906 is a toilet, a washing basin (I don't know what's it called but it is used to wash the private parts if you do not bathe I guess), a sink and a shower. The bathroom goes along the width of the wall and is only 1 and a half persons wide. Very narrow.

Anyhow, hoped this helped.

Old Oct 31st, 2002, 01:26 PM
Ira

Hi David,
The device you are unsure about is called a bidet (bee day) there are those who believe it to be more sanitary for cleaning ones privates than toilet paper.

Old Nov 4th, 2002, 12:19 PM
jeanne

Hexy:

I just got back last night from a 17 day trip through France. The first week my friend and I had two rooms at Hotel Bonaparte and really liked it. The location is fabulous...great shopping area! Walk to the Seine in about 10 minutes.

I was in room 13---double bed, table and chairs, good sized bath with hairdryer and a window that opens (I really like that because I get so hot with the hairdryer running). My friend was in room 2---bigger room but much smaller bathroom.

They bring bkfst up to your room...croissant, coffee jug with hot cream, baguette and orange juice. I would definitely stay at Bonaparte again.

Old Nov 8th, 2002, 06:46 AM
hexy

Thank you all for your input so far!

I have decided to stay at Hotel Bonaparte for 3 nights later this month even though, through all of my obsessive research, it is the one hotel for which I have not been able to find any photos of the rooms on the web. Ironically, I've decided against other hotels because of rooms lacking in character, but haven't heard any negative comments about the rooms at HB.
Does anyone know where to find photos of the HB's rooms/interior??
Thanks again.

Old Nov 8th, 2002, 10:52 AM
Christina

I've looked for photos of that hotel online several times and never came up with any. I don't think it's on any hotel service web site, nor does it have its own (which isn't surprising).

Old Nov 8th, 2002, 11:25 AM
jeanne

Hotel Bonaparte doesn't have a website or email. There are no pics on the web as far as I know.

Now, let me say this. My first reaction to my room was disappointment...not a lot of charm. BUT, once I got my things put away, opened the windows, and put some flowers in the room I was perfectly satisfied. The hotel is nice and I have no doubt you will enjoy it.

If you would like restaurant rec's let me know here. I'll check back.

Old Nov 9th, 2002, 12:20 AM
hexy

Alright, so no photos, I'll just have to wait and be surprised like everyone else. I requested a streetside room on a high floor, so hopefully I'll have a partial view of something [ BTW, I never thought of putting flowers in my hotel room - what a great idea!]

Jeanne, yes I would very much like restaurants recommendations. So far I have reservations at "Passiflore" in the 16th which I read about in a NYTimes article on fusion cuisine, "Le Salon d'Helene"-6th, "La Regalade"-7th, and lunch at "Hiramatsu" - 4th. I'm willing to be swayed though.(I'm actually going to be in Paris for 7 days and Strasbourg for 2, so I will have the time to do some serious eating). Also, if you stopped into any cute bars/lounges, I'd love to hear about them as well.
Thanks!!

Old Nov 9th, 2002, 11:37 AM
Ira

Hi Hexy,
If you get the streetside room you will have a view, through your French window, of a mixed use building across the street.

From our third floor room we looked over to an apartment with windowboxes and flowers.

If you go to http://www.voila.fr/PJ/ and plug in 61 rue bonaparte/paris you will see a photo of the front of the hotel (not impressive). You will alsso be able to take a virtual 'walk' around the neighborhood.

Old Nov 10th, 2002, 06:53 AM
jeanne

There is a narrow little street behind the hotel where you will find LOTS of restaurants. Creperies. Pizzarias...much better than their American counterparts---one can get very good salads there. We ate at a restaurant called "L'Huile d'Olio" (?). I had a shish kabob type dish...wonderful...and only 80 euro for 2 with wine and kir royales.

Best experience: La Mediteranee in the plaza of the Odeon theatre. Good food, charming service. Easy walk from the hotel...go by way of the streets behind St. Sulpice.

Also very good, but a little more expensive: La Petite Zinc---only a couple of blocks away at Bonaparte and St. Germaine...behind Le Deux Magots.

I never saw the courtyard rooms at the Bonaparte, so I have no opinion on street vs. courtyard. There are some young people who work the reception, so they might be able to help you with bars and night scene.

Have Fun!