Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Hotel du Danube St. Germain vs. Hotel Saint Paul Rive Gauche (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/hotel-du-danube-st-germain-vs-hotel-saint-paul-rive-gauche-990250/)

foolforfrance Aug 30th, 2013 02:19 PM

Hotel du Danube St. Germain vs. Hotel Saint Paul Rive Gauche

I could not find much recent feedback on Fodors for either of these hotesl, but plenty on TA. I am ready to book du Danube based on all that I read for my husand and me for early October 2013 (getting a late start I know.) So speak now or forever hold your peace ;). 225 E for a superior twin. Tried Bonaparte, Hotel Lutece, Hotel Grande Ecoles, The Grand Hotel des Balcons.........all booked. If all is true that is said on TA, I should be satisfied.

April of 2012 our college age daughter was with us and we stayed at Residence Villa Daubenton in the Latin Quarter for 6 nights and it was fine. There was no charm to the room, but the space and the location were great. The staff was always willing to assist us. So if du Danube offers at least that in a different location with a bit more charm, that would be perfect.

There was a great deal at the newly renovated 4 star Hotel du Pantheon, but all must be paid at booking and no refund. I couldn't do it.

Avalon2 Aug 30th, 2013 03:26 PM

I love the du Danube. They are all so friendly and the rooms are great We always stay in room 6. Francois on reception in the evening has become a good friend. Lots of nice places to dine in the evening a short walk away. Even when we rent an apt. for longer stays we always visit to say hello!!!

foolforfrance Aug 30th, 2013 04:02 PM

Thank you Avalon2 for that vote of confidence! We have reserved a superior twin courtyard, I will ask if room 6 is in that category.

I would love to hear where you enjoyed dining. I just clicked on your name and see that I have some reading to do that may answer my question. Is that ok to discuss here or should I private message you. If private messaging, how do I do that?

basingstoke2 Aug 30th, 2013 08:50 PM

Of the two hotels I have only stayed in the du Danube and have only good to say about it - it is my favorite of the hotels that I have stayed in Paris. It is a romantic and charming hotel. Well, that is if you stay away from the standard rooms which are small and not up to the level of the other choices. The Superior is the way to go, and that is what you plan to do, so book with confidence.

Avalon2 Aug 31st, 2013 12:24 AM

There are several cafes bistros and restaurant quite nearby. Fih 0on rue de Seine.cafe d Paris on rue de Lille, and a great bistra , Au pre clercs on rue Jacob.Deux Magots I have only had drinks there and enjoyed the scenery. Vagenade onBlvd St Germain is good and the 3 course menu is reasonable
There is a small restaurent on Rue St Benoit we always go to I can't recall the name I tink it is Bistrot St BenoitIt is on he right as you walk toward Blvd St Germain and has a red awning and a very small terrace