Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Hotel Dona Maria - Seville (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/hotel-dona-maria-seville-129611/)

Aly Jun 12th, 2001 08:47 AM

Hotel Dona Maria - Seville

I will be in Seville in early August (travelling with another person) and need help on where to stay. I've read conflicting reviews about the Hotel Dona Maria - has anyone stayed there? In terms of other hotels - Taberna del Alabardero (of which i've read good reviews on this site) is closed during August and I think that Casa de Judeiria is a little too pricey. Any suggestions/comments? <BR> <BR>Thanks

Pedro Jun 12th, 2001 10:26 AM

I would consider Los Seises or Las Casas del Rey de Baeza as an alternative to Doña María. All of them have a pool what maybe it would be interesting for that time. Situation is also good, specially mention for Los Seises. If pool is not one of your main interests you also might search for Las Casas de los Mercaderes or Casa Imperial, as well, both in central Sevilla.

Aly Jun 12th, 2001 10:28 AM

Thanks Pedro - is Dona Maria disappointing?

Julie Jun 12th, 2001 10:45 AM

I spent several nights at Hotel Dona Maria last month. It's in a great location, but over-priced. They do indeed have a pool, but when I was there, it was 1/2 empty and very uninviting. Some of the staff was friendly, however most seemed disinterested. Next time I visit Seville, I will try another hotel.

Graziella Jun 12th, 2001 05:56 PM

Hi Yes I stayed there and I agree with former persons that posted a reply. <BR>I think this is another example of my theory, we don t know any better and rely to much on travel books or newspapers, the same names are repeated here and there, for one new really good hotel or restaurant there are many of those that do not have to improve service and can rise prices because people go there any way. <BR>In 2 words, the Dona maria has a great location but is overpriced and even the Superior Rooms ( we stayed there ) are not very good. By the way breakfast is expensive and bad.

Joanne Jun 13th, 2001 08:01 AM

Guess I'm in the minority, but our stay at the Dona Maria was a very positive one. Our room was quite large and well furnished; the bathroom was good sized and the shower was wonderful. As the others noted the location is great and it is. Just steps away from the Cathedral and easy walking distance to many places in Sevilla. <BR> <BR>Staff treated us well, arranged several things for us and were always friendly and accommodating. <BR> <BR>As far as price is concerned, it was higher than we usually like to spend but I cannot agree that it was "overpriced" for what we received. Breakfast was included and no worse than some we've had in other countries. We wouldn't hesitate to stay there again.

Marcia Dec 12th, 2001 06:36 PM

My husband & I stayed at Hotel Becquer in Seville this past September. The location was excellent as was the hotel. It's very modern, the rooms are spacious, not expensive, and the people at the front desk were very helpful. Within walking distance to all sights. Would definitely stay there again. Have a great trip!

Colleen Dec 13th, 2001 06:37 AM

I recommend Hotel Simon. It's close to the cathedral and almost as close to the river (and bullring, if that interests you). It's in a gracious old mansion, with a fountain in the lobby, big rooms (ours had a huge bathroom), nice breakfast room, and friendly staff. And cheap! I think we paid about $80 a year ago.