Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Hotel des Tuileries, in Paris ....Help???

Old May 7th, 2000, 08:46 PM
Phyl

Would appreciate comments about the Hotel des Tuileries at 10, rue Saint Hyacinthe. We would like opinions about the hotel staff, room size, bathroom, cleanliness, location, etc. Detailed comments would be greatly appreciated.

Old May 8th, 2000, 05:27 AM
elaine

Hi Phyl
On my last trip to Paris I originally had reservations at that hotel, changed
to another hotel before I went for a number of reasons. While we were there I went to check out the des Tuileries for future reference. Nice right bank location, a few blocks to the metro
stop Pyramides, another block or two to the Tuileries stop. Hotel is charmingly and recently decorated, pretty fabrics, pleasant front desk staff.
Rooms adorable but very small, at least the three we saw, and the bathrooms so excruciatingly small that two people could not stand next to each other. The public hallways again so narrow that two people could not pass each other, literally, without one placing his back against a wall.
One elevator, which was unfortunately out of order the day we were there.
I am used to small hotel rooms, but for the price, which was not cheap, I definitely felt that I could do better elsewhere, and I have. On the right bank, try the Hotel Louvre Montana or the St Romain. On the left bank, there are many choices, most mentioned on this forum.

Old May 8th, 2000, 07:30 AM
Marija

We stayed at the Hotel des Tuileries last year for five nights. It was in a busy right bank location, not quite the "residential" neighborhood we expected. The room we had on the street side was not particularly small, but the street noise was very loud. There were several restaurants/bars/nightclubs adjacent to the hotel. Don't expect attention from the staff. We had a hard time getting them to call us a cab when we were leav ing. I would not bother to stay there again.

Old May 9th, 2000, 08:09 AM
phyl

Thank you so much for your prompt and in detailed responses.
I have reservations at the Hotel Burgundy, but just realized that the hotel is not air conditioned. The location is great but I was looking for another hotel in a similar price range, in the same area, but with a/c. Kind of panicked thinking of June, hot and humid weather, without a/c.

Old May 9th, 2000, 11:47 AM
elaine

check out the two I mentioned,
St Romain and Louvre Montana. I haven't stayed at those places for a few years, and both times I was there in the autumn, so I can't recall if they have a/c.
You should be able to find them at
www.paris.org or www.hotelboulevard.com
They are both on rue St. Roch, across the street from each other, just half a block north of the rue de Rivoli, two blocks from the Tuileries metro station.
If you are willing to go to the left bank, the Hotel de l'Abbaye has been recommended to me, it's also in the Fodor's '99 guidebook. Good location and it has a/c for sure. Address is 10 rue Cassette, near St Sulpice metro stop
(and church), delightful neighborhood.
Also on the left bank, Hotel Fleurie,
32-34 rue Gregoire-de-Tours, metro Odeon, also has a/c, also in Fodor's book.