Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Hotel Des Grandes Ecoles OR Hotel Familia?

Aug 16th, 2002, 12:47 PM
Jennifer

My husband and I will be in Paris this New Yesrs eve- the first week in Jan, and we definitely want to stay in the latin Quarter. We are on a budget, but want to stay somewhere romantic and with much charm. After much research, I've narrowed it down to either Hotel Des Grandes Ecoles OR Hotel Familia. If anyone out there has stayed at one or both of these hotels, can you let me know your reactions? It would reallty help!
Thanks!

Aug 16th, 2002, 12:51 PM
jj

Take the one you can get in.
Both get very good reviews here.
Try to make a search here and you'll get a lot of posts.

Tried to book my fav hotel for that period and it's already solid booked.

Aug 16th, 2002, 01:02 PM
Howard

We stayed two weeks at the Grandes Ecoles and loved it. I haven't seen the inside of the Familia, but from walking by the Familia, I'd say that the Grandes Ecoles more closely fits your criteria of "romantic and with much charm."
Normally, you cannot book the Grandes Ecoles until the 15th of the month, four months out, which means September 15. I'd double check that with them and book soon, as the hotel fills up fast.

Aug 16th, 2002, 02:31 PM
XXX

Yes, if you want to stay at Grandes Ecoles better mark your calendar 4 mos. prior as that's when they begin taking reservations (4 mos. prior to the day you're thinking of visiting).

Aug 16th, 2002, 02:50 PM
Wendy

I've stayed at the Familia and although I love the location and the hotel I wouldn't say it is romantic at all. I don't know about the other but it sounds like that might be your winner.

Aug 16th, 2002, 02:56 PM
Kathleen

Stayed at Grandes Ecoles this past January. While I haven't been in the HOtel Familia, I'd opt for Ecoles. It has a fabulous *quiet* location (rare for a lot of hotels) and the courtyard is charming. Plus I *love* Place de Contrescarpe and rue Mouffetard...