Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Hotel Della Baia in Portovenere? Hotel Clelia in Deiva Marina?

Old Feb 24th, 2001, 11:42 AM
Polly

Has anybody stayed at these hotels? I did a forum search on these and came up empty. I'm looking for hotel w/pool for relaxation between Rome and Florence. My group includes 3 boys (18, 15, 11) and we will not have a car. I know these two have pools but would appreciate any firsthand knowledge.

Old Feb 24th, 2001, 01:53 PM
Martha

Polly:
Stayed one night at Hotel Della Baia last Sept. I was on a tour and would have loved to have stayed longer. Very nice hotel. I had a room overlooking the marina with a small balcony but I think some of the bigger rooms had bigger balconys. They do have a web site with pictures .If you go to a search engine like Google you can find it. Have a great time in Italy.

Old Feb 24th, 2001, 03:44 PM
Polly

Martha, Is the Della Baia within walking distance of Portovenere? Couldn't really tell from the site.

Old Feb 24th, 2001, 06:03 PM
Gaye

You can walk from the della Baia (in Le Grazie) to Portovenere, but it is at least a 30 minute walk, about half of it up-hill. We did it once for the views, other than that took the bus. We really liked the della Baia and had a great dinner there. The pool is on the small size. I think the pool at Hotel Royal Sporting in Portovenere was bigger, but rooms are costlier. How are you planning to get to Le Grazie/Portovenere without a car?

Old Feb 24th, 2001, 06:52 PM
Polly

Good question. I suppose I thought we would train to La Spezia from Rome and then... maybe take a bus? I am a totally inexperienced traveler without a car. Sounds like the Della Baia is isolated by itself with no closeby walking destinations, right? How do you get to CT from there?

Old Feb 25th, 2001, 11:39 AM
Gaye

We did not have a car, either. Took the train to La Spezia and a bus to Le Grazie (twenty minute ride?). There is an information office at the train station that can give you directions to the bus stop and which bus to take. The bus stop is an easy walk from the train station. We bought our tickets from the driver, but it is cheaper if you buy from a tabac. Le Grazie is tiny. It's a short walk from bus stop to hotel. To get to CT, we took the bus back to La Spezia and caught the train from there. I think you can also do it by boat. We didn't do exploring other than CT and Portvenere, so I don't know if there are other walking sights nearby. We loved Le Grazie/Portovenere. It was worth the trouble getting there.

Old Feb 25th, 2001, 06:41 PM
Polly

Gaye, Thanks so much for filling me in on the Della Baia logistics. It sounds doable. I'm so much more confident we can get the hang of being carless in Italy after reading info like yours on this forum.

I'm still wondering about Hotel Clelia.
Anybody out there?