Hotel deFrance or Hotel Ibis in Angers?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25th, 2007, 12:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will arrive in Angers by train and plan to spend three nights. We want to stay in the city center and are considering Hotel de France and Hotel Ibis. Has anyone used either of these hotels, or do you have another suggestion? Thanks.
Old Jan 25th, 2007, 08:23 PM

The Hotel de France is located right in front of the TGV train station but not too far from the chateau and is a member of Chatateaux et Demeures de Tradition -- you would get more traditional service and better cuisine. The Ibis chain hotels are very reliable, contemporary- à la Holiday Inn type.

Both make it into the Red Michelin Guide, but Hotel de France is "very comfortable" and Ibis is "comfortable enough" and located near the freeway.

Sounds like it depends on your personal taste, your means of travel and your budget between these two.
Old Jan 25th, 2007, 09:06 PM

I think both are in a good location, the Ibis is more central. There are 2 fabulous bakeries right outside the de France.

I enjoyed my stay in Hotel le Progrès, which is also in the station area, 1 minute walk from the de France. Large rooms, nice and clean, welcoming staff and excellent price.
http://www.hotelleprogres.com/
Old Feb 9th, 2007, 05:54 PM
Original Poster

We are ready to book at the Hotel de France in Angers, but I can't find their web site to book with them directly. I can go through Expedia or another booking agent but would rather book directly with the hotel. Does anyone have their web address? Thanks.
Old Feb 11th, 2007, 09:39 AM

Didn't find one, but this will at least give you an email to make an inquiry (and tel./fax numbers)

www.destination-anjou.com/hoteldefrance
Old Feb 11th, 2007, 09:54 AM

Most hotels don't have their own personal website, it's too expensive, especially ones that are part of a hotel group, anyway. I think this hotel's most personal website is the one above on www.destination-anjou.com
Old Feb 11th, 2007, 09:59 AM

You can often find the Mercure Angers Centre for the same rate (or thereabouts) as the Ibis and it's a nicer hotel in a very attractive garden setting right by the edge of the old town. We've stayed there a few times, stays ranging from 3 to 10 nights and always liked it. The park it's next to is lovely (year round) and relaxing. It's an easy walk from the Mercure to the heart of the city...we did it almost every day during our stays in Angers.
Rooms at the Mercure are spacious and comfortable and the staff are wonderful (for those coming in by car, there is secure underground parking).
We found the Mercure's location more attractive than staying right by the train station.