Hotel de Tourville Information

Mar 24th, 2001, 02:54 PM
Roberta

Hotel de Tourville Information

We are planning on staying at Hotel de Tourville in May. Has any one stayed here and what are you impressions of it? Also any recommendations for restaurants in this area. Thanks for any help.

Mar 24th, 2001, 04:32 PM
ldsant

I have stayed here three times and will no longer do so. Just returned late last night actually from my latest trip to Paris. The location is great, most of the staff is wonderful, but this last time what happened was that the hotel was filled with 14-year olds from NYC. I was put in a room that had no air conditioning and made it impossible to sleep. Additionally, the room had water dripping and banging from the room above. I explained all of this the next morning and asked if there were any other rooms available for this evening (was told that there were but it would be twice the cost). Then I asked if they would please call around to another hotel to find a room for me. Was told that they would but I would still be charged for the room! I guess I am disappointed with the way in which I was treated since quite frankly I had really liked this hotel and thought I had found the place I like to stay. It's also a bit pricey for the room you get as well. But, the location is wonderful, it's safe, VERY clean. Up until this incident occurred I had been EXTREMELY pleased with this hotel. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Restaurants: One I really like a lot is Aubergine. It's on Motte (not giving whole name here I know). VERY good food, good wine, good atmosphere - more casual than others, but not a bistro at all. I'd suggest making reservations. The owner is wonderful as is the entire staff. I've gone a couple of times and have never been disappointed. If you have any other ?s, please feel free to email me. Have a wonderful time!

Mar 24th, 2001, 07:56 PM
StCirq

WOW! I'm very interested to hear this about Hôtel Le Tourville, one of my all-time favorites in an all-time favorite neighborhood. I haven't stayed there for the past 3 years, though, and as we all know, things change.
For a delightful hotel about 2 blocks away, I'd recommend the Hôtel Duquesne

http://www.hotelbook.com/static/welcome_27845.html#top

It's a 3-star, recently renovated, on the avenue Duquesne, métro Ecole Militaire. Prices are less than the Tourville, but with the exception of the fact that the Tourville has a more appealing lobby, the Duquesne is a better bargain IMO - and I've never run into a tour group, young or otherwise.

Restaurants in the neighborhood that we enjoy are La Fontaine de Mars and Le Croque au Sel on the rue Ste-Dominique, the Bistro de Papa on Avenue Bosquet must a couple of doorways north from the Ecole MIlitaire, the Auberge Bressane at 16, avenue de la Motte Piquet, and Florimond at 19, avenue de la Motte Piquet.

Mar 25th, 2001, 07:19 AM
Roberta

Idsant and StCirq

Thanks for all your updates. Will definitely take into consideration your trips to Hotel de Tourville. The restaurant recommendations will also really help.

Mar 25th, 2001, 01:27 PM
John H

I really WANT to like Le Tourville. But, last year, I booked 3 rooms for 3 nights 5 months in advance of my trip. I called 10 days before the departure date just to make certain that everything was in order, and came to find out that they had booked only one room! This was for a September stay, when the fashion shows are on. in the end, they were not able to give me enough assurance two days before I left that they'd be able to accommodate us in full. So, I ended up cancelling and staying elsewhere (only 1 of 30 hotels I faxed or e-mailed had rooms available)!

I'd like to give them a try, but this was obviously not a great first experience.

Mar 25th, 2001, 03:29 PM
ldsant

I found that the hotel does answer email VERY quickly and efficiently - that may be better than faxing them. Also, St. Cirq is correct - the name of the restaurant I was thinking of is Auberge Bressane (thanks - jet lagged brain when I originally posted!). The other restaurants he/she mentioned are also very good.

Mar 25th, 2001, 06:29 PM
SCirq

But I'm still worried about Le Tourville - is it not a great hotel in the 7me anymore? Are there others with bad experiences?

Mar 25th, 2001, 08:00 PM
Al

We stayed a week at the Hotel Turenne, just down the block from the Tourville on Ave. de Tourville, last Sept. and found it to be completely satisfactory although nothing fancy.

Mar 27th, 2001, 09:53 AM
Fred

Here are comments by people who have stayed there:
a great hotel
friendly staff and comfortable rooms
very comfortable, and very helpful staff.
a REALLY nice hotel but a bit out of the way!
It was wonderful.
rooms are on the small side
very low key, quiet hotel
go for the superior room--the standards are quite small.
nicely decorated, bright and cheery.
E-mail me for more Paris information. [email protected]

Mar 27th, 2001, 11:11 AM
Me

We've stayed at the Tourville four times - most recently last month - and we've had a wonderful experience every time.

Before the Tourville, we bounced around trying to find a hotel that we really liked and while we had some nice experiences, nothing beats the Tourville. Marguerite at the front desk is delightful - always very helpful.

I'm hoping that Idsant's experience was out of the ordinary and not a sign of things declining at the hotel.