Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Hotel de Senlis in Paris: have you stayed there? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/hotel-de-senlis-in-paris-have-you-stayed-there-397751/)

Croque_Madame Feb 10th, 2004 07:55 PM

Hotel de Senlis in Paris: have you stayed there?

Am interested in staying as close to the Luxembourg gardens as possible, without paying more than 90 euro a night for a double room.

Location and price are good for both the Hotel de Senlis on rue Malebranche and the Hotel des Ecoles on rue Monsieur le Prince, but I'd appreciate any personal knowledge anyone might be willing to share regarding these two hotels. Thanks for your help.

SalB Feb 10th, 2004 08:13 PM

Hi, Croque Madame. I did a search on Hotel Senlis and came up with nothing. I know there have been comments on the Hotel des Ecoles so you can do a search on those for comments.

Last November we stayed at the Hotel la Sorbonne very near the Luxembourg Gardens and it was 80 euros / night for a double. The rooms are small but clean. There was a very nice bathroom with tub and shower. They had a hair dryer and the little hotel shampoo and soap that were replenished regularly. The bed was fine; the staff spoke English; the breakfast was only 5 euros and there were plenty of acceptable places to eat nearby. It is right across the street from the Sorbonne University but not noisy at all. It is on rue Victor Cousin a block from the Luxembourg Metro/RER station and half a block from the Pl. de la Sorbonne. It's near the Cluny Museum and two other Metro stations. It's a great location and the staff was very nice.

Just a suggestion. You can check comments on France.com where we made our reservations. There are literally hundreds of comments by people who have stayed there.

Good luck. BTW, I love your name!!

Croque_Madame Feb 11th, 2004 11:20 AM

SalB: Glad you like it! I appreciate the info on the Hotel la Sorbonne, it is one that I researched, among others.

The Senlis is just the closest to both the Luxembourg RER stop and the gardens. Well, the closest that I can afford, anyway!

Having spent my last three trips to Paris running around all day and half the night, gobbling the city up like a kid with a bag of Halloween candy, this time I just want to kick back and relaaaax. That's where the gardens come in. The trees should be lovely in early October.

Of course, it being Paris, the trees may also be dripping wet with rain the whole week I'm there, but hey, wet Paris beats no Paris any day.

Travelnut Feb 11th, 2004 01:18 PM

Did you see this comment on TripAdvisor?

Paris: Hotel de Senlis: "Tried and true"
Date: November 4, 2003 Reviewer: A TripAdvisor User, oregon
I have stayed at the hotel twice. Once with girlfriends and returned with my teenage daughter. It has been clean, pretty quiet, and comfortable. Close to some great small cafes, crepe stands and the gardens. One of the main attractions is it is just off the RER straight from/to the airport. Made it very simple with our luggage and return flight home. The workers were friendly and helpful. I have no complaints. I will retun!

Croque_Madame Feb 11th, 2004 06:39 PM

Travelnut: Thank you! Yes, I saw the TripAdvisor post.

After the advantageous location, affordable price, and reassuring website photo's, it was that recommendation which prompted me to reserve a room at the Senlis.

I've been hoping to get comments from anyone who may have stayed there so that I might have a better idea of whether to request a room on the street or overlooking the courtyard, presuming there IS a courtyard.

Due to the paucity of responses to my inquiry, I guess not too many tourists are familiar with the place. Which can be a good thing, or a bad thing.

Perhaps it's a well guarded secret, or perhaps the roof's falling down, taking with it all the poor, misguided guests who didn't solicit advice on Fodors before innocently checking in.

cls2paris Feb 11th, 2004 07:22 PM

Hello Croque_Madam! While I have no feedback on the Senlis, you asked about staying near the gardens. I have twice stayed at the Grand Hotel des Balcons, which is just on the other side of the, ah, shoot! can't remember the name - it is theater or opera. Anyway, a couple of blocks from the palace and garden and a couple doors away from the Hotel des Ecoles. In the past, I have had rooms on the street and for some reason gets noisy at night from people walking and slamming car doors. If the doors are closed, not a problem. But, the flip side was, I could sort of sit on the little balcony and have my glass of wine before dinner. The rooms on the courtyard are quieter. The hotel is about 90 Euro, clean, nice people, great location and a big breakfast is available if you want. I am going back in July but am not staying there because there is no A/C. So, I'm taking Ira's suggestion and staying at the Hotel Bonaparte which is near St. Sulpice. I'm sure you'll like the convenience of the neighborhood you're looking at.