Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Hotel de Russie vs. Hassler (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/hotel-de-russie-vs-hassler-675149/)

KristyW Jan 30th, 2007 11:09 AM

Hotel de Russie vs. Hassler

My husband and I are planning a trip to Italy in September. We are looking at the Hotel de Russie and the Hotel Hassler. Any info you can provide on location, service,rooms, amenities, etc.

nbujic Jan 30th, 2007 11:23 AM

I only had a drink at Hassler. Iti is at the top of the Spanish Steps and very pupular with celebrities.

JuneAnn Jan 30th, 2007 11:59 AM

I stayed next door to the Hassler at the Intercontinental. I loved that hotel. The location, at the top of the Spanish Steps is great and very convenient. The Russie is a bit further away from the center of things in my opinion.

Dukey Jan 30th, 2007 12:29 PM

You may want to read the Hassler reviews on TripAdvisor.

The best, and I suspect most expensive, rooms are in the front where all the spectacular views are.

There's an interesting undercurrent to the TA Hassler reviews...all about the formality and dressing up..many enjoy it; some don't.

I'd ignore the review that says that Americans don't understand the concept under which the hotel supposedly works.

A lot of us understand it quite well and stay at hotels accordingly.

Grinisa Jan 30th, 2007 03:17 PM

After three stays at the Hassler, each getting more and more disappointing (we had the same room with view each time so that's not the problem) we switched to the de Russie or St. Regis for luxury stays. The room at the Hassler was in need of refurbishment, the air conditioner broke down for several days at the end of July with no apology or anything from the management. The noise from the crowds on the Spanish Steps at night made it difficult to sleep (as if the heat wasn't bad enough) when we had to open the windows. The de Russie is a few blocks away; certainly not enough to make it not centrally located.

jody Jan 30th, 2007 04:18 PM

Never stayed at either but at hotels just about next door to them.

The da Russie , IMO, is a better location , being at the BOTTOM of the Spanish Steps and about a block away! Therefore everything is a flat walk to major sights and no hills to climb getting back from your touring.

teach2travel Jan 30th, 2007 04:20 PM

I stayed at the Hassler in November right after the whole Tom Cruise extravaganza. I found it wonderful and friendly. The service was terrific and my room was small but very luxe and comfortable.

Cicerone Jan 30th, 2007 07:28 PM

I prefer the Hotel del Russie over the Hassler for several reasons. First is that IMO the Russie is in overall better condition, rooms are newer and fresher. (I have to admit to not being a huge fan of the heavy older European style of much of the Hassler, I like the modern clean lines of the Russie.) Secondly, many rooms look into the Courtyard which means they are VERY quiet, a big plus in Rome, which between the Vespas and the street noise off the cobblestones can be quite noisy at night, esp at the Hassler when you have the very late night scene at the Spanish Steps. (The top floor suites at the Russie have great views over the rooftops and are quiet too.) The courtyard is a lovely, lovely place for breakfast in the morning or a drink in the evening. (Granted, the terrace bar on top of the Hassler is nice, but go there for a drink, you don’t have to stay there.) Thirdly, I like the location just out of the hectic noise and huge crowds of the Spanish Steps, but just moments away from it on foot. You can walk to everything (I have even walked to St Peters). Fourth, the staff is wonderful. Fifth, I love their spa (I don’t beleive the Hassler has one). Only drawbacks to me are that some rooms can be small, just get the largest room in your budget (these are all clear from the website; you would find this the case at the Hassler as well). Make spa bookings in advance.

FYI, breakfast has always been included in my room rate at the Russie; even when I booked directly myself, that’s pretty common practice for European hotels generally. I have also received room upgrades without asking, even when I booked myself. I get a free newspaper at virtually every hotel I can think of.... I get the feeling the above post is an add for virtuouso.

italy06 Jan 30th, 2007 07:37 PM

I asked this very same question last year! We ended up at the De Russie and I highly recommend it. I loved the location - three incredible churches steps away in the Piazza de Popolo. Maria De Popolo has amazing art including several Caravaggios. The rooms were great, we ate on our last night in Rome in the courtyard - food was terrific and the concierges are enormously helpful. Very luxurious and slightly away from the hustle and bustle but it's an easy walk to so many places.