Reload this Page >

Hotel De La Sorbonne or Hotel Daval??

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 5th, 1999, 06:34 AM
Josh

I currently have a reservation at both and need to cancel one. One is in the Latin Qtr.,the other closer to the Bastille. Any opinions on either hotel or either location for a first timer? We're 23yr old boyfriend and girlfriend, looking for fun, safe, clean area for our two days in Paris. Thanks Josh

Old May 5th, 1999, 08:17 AM
dAWN

jOSH, <BR>When my husband and I were in Paris we stayed near the Latin Quarter and really enjoyed it. Unfortunately, I don't know anything about the Bastille.

Old May 5th, 1999, 10:18 AM
Harriet

Although listed in a book of "charming" small hotels, Hotel de la Sorbonne has little, if any, charm. However, the location is absolutely THE BEST. It is directly across the street from La Sorbonne on a narrow street so cars are almost nonexistent and our room was perfectly quiet. (Noise is a big issue for me.) <BR> <BR>The Luxembourg Gardens are a block away as is the Luxembourg RER stop (which is very convenient if you're coming in from the airport). The Cluny Museum and metro stop are two blocks away. It's a short, pleasant walk to Notre Dame and a quiet evening stroll past the Panteon to the Mouffetard area (great for dining options). <BR> <BR>Overall, the "neighborhood" has a very nice feel and the location can't <BR>be beat. Personally, I prefer the energy around a university and find/found the shops and cafes to be less expensive, less pretentious and full of students who are happy to engage in an interesting conversation with a foreigner. <BR> <BR>The price for a double was 420FF. Hotel de la Sorbonne is clean and basic. We had plenty of fresh towels everyday and lots of hot water in a good shower. We had a view of a nondescript courtyard but saw a much larger, brighter room, on the street side of the building. We spent so little time in the room, it didn't really matter. <BR> <BR>The owners were fine, not exceptionally friendly, but one of the young men working the night shift was quite wonderful, bright, interesting, funny and definitely worth meeting if you do decide to stay there. <BR> <BR>You'll have a great time wherever you stay! Bon voyage.

Old May 5th, 1999, 10:31 AM
Harriet

Although listed in a book of "charming" small hotels, Hotel de la Sorbonne has little, if any, charm. However, the location is absolutely THE BEST. It is directly across the street from La Sorbonne on a narrow street so cars are almost nonexistent and our room was perfectly quiet. (Noise is a big issue for me.) <BR> <BR>The Luxembourg Gardens are a block away as is the Luxembourg RER stop(which is very convenient if you're coming in from the airport). The Cluny Museum and metro stop are two blocks away. It's a short, pleasant walk to Notre Dame and a quiet evening stroll past the Pantheon to the <BR>Mouffetard area (great for dining options). <BR> <BR>Overall, the "neighborhood" has a very nice feel and the location can't be beat. Personally, I prefer the energy around a university and find/found the shops and cafes to be less expensive, less pretentious and full of students who are happy to engage in an interesting conversation with a foreigner. <BR> <BR>The price for a double was 420FF. Hotel de la Sorbonne is clean and basic. We had plenty of fresh towels everyday and lots of hot water in a good shower. We had a view of a nondescript courtyard but saw a much larger, brighter room, on the street side of the building. We spent so little time in the room, it didn't really matter. <BR> <BR>The owners were fine, not exceptionally friendly, but one of the young men working the night shift was quite wonderful, bright, interesting, <BR>funny and definitely worth meeting if you do decide to stay there. <BR> <BR>You'll have a great time wherever you stay! Bon voyage. <BR> <BR>

Old May 5th, 1999, 02:02 PM
gregoire

josh, <BR> <BR>The hotel near Bastille might cleaner inside, I don't know, but the area arround is not as clean as Sorbonne's. Still both are deep into enjoyable districts. <BR>If you chose Bastille, go towards the center -that's nicer. <BR>