Hotel de l'Avre or Hotel Chopin or ??

Old Sep 21st, 2005, 06:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotel de l'Avre or Hotel Chopin or ??

I will be going to Paris in December/January for 10 nights. I am looking for accomodation and have just read some reviews in Tripadvisor. Found that Hotel Chopin and Hotel de l'Avre seem reasonably priced and earned some great reviews. So now the question is which one - Hotel Chopin and Hotel de l'Avre. I understand that Hotel Chopin is near the central districts but Hotel de l'Avre is in the 15th district which seems far away from the central districts. However, based on the reviews, staying in 15th district doesnt seem to be a big issue. Would be great if you could assist me in my decision. Or is there any other alternative(s) hotel which has similar standard with those two hotels? Or should we stay in an apartment? Looking forward to your inputs!!! THANKSS HEAPSS!
Old Sep 21st, 2005, 08:37 AM

Hard to reply without knowing your hotel budget.
Old Sep 21st, 2005, 08:48 AM

It's true we don't know your exact budget. But if you are looking for hotels that are less than 100 euro not including breakfast, check Hotel Delambre and Hotel Sevres Azur. The Delambre is in the 14th district and the Sevres Azur is in the 6th although not in the heart of St. Germain. Also try Hotel St. Christophe in the 5th which is close to the rue Mouffetard and Pantheon areas. They have rates in the low 100 euro.

Old Sep 26th, 2005, 03:19 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your reply. My budget for the hotel accomodation is between 80-100 Euro. We actually found some apartments which are centrally located, looks quite good in the pictures and reasonably priced - 770 Euro for 10 nights. The link is http://vacation.apartment-paris.com/...out-Apartment/ What do you think?
Old Sep 26th, 2005, 10:37 AM

I can't tell you which to choose, but I think you've received some incorrect impressions on the location of those two hotels. The Chopin isn't really more central than the Avre IMO, but that depends what you want to be close to. The Hotel de l'Avre is at 21 rue de l'Avre, 15e, which is within a block of the Motte Picquet metro stop. The CHopin is within Passage Jouffroy about two blocks from the Grands Boulevards metro stop. Yes, the CHopin is a bit closer to the Louvre, but the Avre is closer to the Eiffel Tower. La Motte Picquet metro stop has three lines running through it to go in all directions, whereas the Grands Boulevards has only two, and you'll have to transfer to get to the Latin Qtr/St Germain area. You wouldn't have to transfer to do that at the location of the Avre.

Those are just examples, but people generalize too much based on one number (the arrondisement), and whether it has one or two digits. Perhaps you don't understand the distances within Paris, either -- the Avre is probably only about 1.5 miles from Notre Dame
Old Sep 26th, 2005, 10:43 AM

I think it's reasonable to generalize that the single-digit arrondissments are close to the center of the spiral, but I agree that proximity to a metro station, and especially, a metro station that is on more than one line, or a metro station that is only one stop from a transfer point, is an important factor as well.
Old Sep 28th, 2005, 02:12 AM

One of my favourite hotel in Saint Germain for less than 100 euros is Hotel Rive Gauche, a little 2 star, always very clean, with nice and helpful staff...I feel really good in this hotel each time I went.
http://www.hotelrivegauche.com
Maybe have a look...I found the location particularly central!