Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Hotel D'Aubusson or Caron De Beaumarchais

Aug 8th, 2001, 05:51 AM
sammie

Trying to decide between these two hotels in Paris for a trip in November. First time to Paris. Thanks

Aug 8th, 2001, 06:29 AM
elaine

sammie
I can't offer a room by room comparison, but ON AVERAGE the rooms in the d'Aubusson are larger than at the Caron.
Both are very nice hotels, you can't really go wrong with either one.

Aug 8th, 2001, 06:35 AM
Surlok

They are not comparable. D'Aubusson is in the 6eme, is a 3 stars plus to 4 stars hotel, much more expensive, with much more amenities than the Caron, it's an excellent hotel in its category.

The Caron is smaller, cheaper, is in the Marais district, and also an excellent hotel for its category, that would be a 2 stars to 3 stars category.

Both are great, but it depends on what you're looking for.

Surlok

Aug 8th, 2001, 08:59 AM
elaine

I respectfully disagree that they are not comparable, at least they seemed to be in my eyes.
I've only stayed at the d'Aubusson, but I looked at the Beaumarchais.
They are both 3-star (offical rankings) hotels. Both offer luxurious little amenities like bathrobes, soaps, very pretty decor, hair dryers, nice bathrooms. Their prices are not far off from each other, at least they weren't this past Dec when I was quoted rates for a standard twin room, the one at the Caron was slightly less expensive but it was also smaller,the d'Aubusson also charged more for
its larger "superior" twin room which is what I wanted at the time. The Caron's rooms (those that I saw) were fairly small.
The left bank location of the d'Aubusson
is more in the thick of things perhaps, not that the C.B. is in a backwater at all. The d'A. public areas do have a slightly-more luxury feel to it, perhaps, but not by much, imo.
For more comments, look at
www.paris.org

Aug 8th, 2001, 09:51 AM
Heather

Sammie, last May, during my first trip to Paris, we stayed at the Beaumarchais. I'm sorry not to have a comparison for you, but we really liked the hotel. The location was great ... 5 minutes to the Seine, Notre Dame, Metro stops, etc. Loads of delicious restaurants/cafes and funky shops.

The hotel was immaculate, the staff very pleasant, and it was a steal for the price (you couldn't touch a room like that in Chicago for that amount). The room size was fine with me, as we were only there to sleep and clean up. Our windows had flower boxes and overlooked the main street. The bathroom was a nice size and modern with fluffy bathrobes.

Hope this info helps some ... feel free to email me if you have any other questions.

Have a wonderful trip!

Aug 8th, 2001, 09:52 AM
Surlok

Sorry, I've been to both hotels, stayed at d' Aubusson twice, and visited friends who were staying at Caron. D'Aubusson is a much more comfortable hotel, the rooms are all larger, the lobby is much larger and luxurious, although low keyed, the elevator is modern and larger and the hotel was completely redone, meaning eletric appliances are really modern, whereas the Caron, although has been refurbished, it's far from having the same features as does D' Abusson. The elevator is too small, as are the rooms, where you can barely move around the bed.

Caron minimum room costs about 750 FF. whereas a standard room at D'Aubusson costs 1500 FF. If you can afford it, I would undoubtly stay at D'Aubusson.

Surlok