Hotel Danieli or The Westin Europa & Regina

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8th, 2012, 07:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Which hotel should we choose to stay at during our visit to Venice? What are pros and cons of each? Are there any others we should look into? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old Jan 8th, 2012, 08:25 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
nice choice to have to make! there are literally hundreds of hotels in Venice, and several [i guess] at this price point [which is not mine so i have no personal experience of either].

why not go to TA, put in your dates, and restrict your search to "most expensive first"?

you will find many reviews of these and other luxury hotels in venice on the net if you search for them
Old Jan 8th, 2012, 08:38 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
hello again,

i did a bit of research and come up with prices of about £220+ for each of them for dates in January. [clearly the prices will be affected by the times you are planning to travel and the sort of room you want]

The Danieli's website was showing a lowest price of about £540 per room per night, but it was only £220 odd on Venere.com whereas the Westin was about £350 on all the hotel consolidation sites but only £221 on its own website.

both have excellent reviews as you might expect - only you know which would suit you best.

good luck!
Old Jan 8th, 2012, 11:57 AM
Original Poster

Thank you ann! We are very excited about our first trip to Italy and really are not sure when we will get back to Venice so we have decided to splurge where we can to make our trip even more romantic and enjoyable...
Old Jan 10th, 2012, 12:38 PM

I have stayed at both. I was at the Westin in 2005 and at the Danieli last September.

As you probably know, both are on the Grand Canal. The Westin's restaurant is on canal level with a terrace and bar. The Danieli's restaurant is on the roof and of course has fabulous views.

I think they are about equi-distant from Piazza San Marco; however, there is a vaporetto stop nearly in front of the Danieli which can be convenient.

The Danieli has more history; however, it also has rooms in newer, blocky buildings. My room was in the main historical building, but I wasn't very impressed. My room at the Ritz Carlton in Buckhead in October was very much nicer as was my room at the St. Regis in Houston in December. The room I had at the Westin was larger, and, I thought nicer.

The common rooms at both hotels are quite opulent, but those at the Danieli speak a bit more of slightly faded glory.

With this analysis, I suppose I might recommend the Westin.

In case you haven't done so, you might also consider the Gritti Palace, another Luxury Collection property. We had drinks at their terrace on the canal, and it was lovely. It is farther from San Marco but very easy walking distance, even in heels.

If you really want to splurge, you might consider the Hotel Cipriani. While it is on Giudecca, they do have a private launch to and from San Marco and also a swimming pool. My boyfriend says that is where he wants to stay the next time we go back to Venice.

I hope you have a wonderful time, wherever you choose.
Old Jan 10th, 2012, 12:40 PM

I have only stayed at the Danieli, and it was amazing. It was one of the most beautiful hotels I have ever stayed in, and everything about the experience was impeccable. I highly recommend it.

I also stayed at the Gritti Palace, but found it to be a bit run down. The terrace bar is great, though, so make sure to visit for a drink or meal regardless of where you stay.
Old Jan 10th, 2012, 01:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
We have stayed at the Danieli for three nights and had a great stay. Both hotels you are considering are Luxury Collection property [as mentioned]. Do you have a Starwood American Express CC? If not, you get 10,000 points on the first purchase and another 15,000 after spending $5000 within six months. For us, we have had so many nights using poins. Plus one can use points and cash. We are stayng at a Westin in Georgetown, DC in September using 4000 points and $60 cash per night. Consider this CC. Zero cost for the first year and $65 per year.
Old Jan 10th, 2012, 03:27 PM

The Danieli is lovely, but as mentioned above, the rooms aren't super luxe. Great place though. You could also consider the Bauer l'Hotel which is quite divine and would certainly fit your splurge requirements. www.bauervenezia.com They have other properties in Venice too, but this one is central, refurbished a few years ago and gorgeous. Otherwise right on the Grand Canal is the Bauer Il Palazzo (www.ilpalazzovenezia.com) which is even more gorgeous and very Venetian.
Old Jan 11th, 2012, 12:10 PM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone...so many great choices! Will be a hard choice to make!
Old Jan 11th, 2012, 01:00 PM
ekc

It depends on your taste. In 2010 we stayed at the Bauer Il Palazzo on the Grand Canal and it was lovely but very "old Venetian" style. Close to S. Marco, but that also means close to the crowds. In 2011 we stayed at the Centurion, which is in Dorsoduro, right on the Grand Canal across from the Bauer and just down from the Santa Maria della Salute church and it was FANTASTIC. One of the reasons we liked it MUCH better is that it is away from the crowds. Also more modern and our room had an AMAZING view of the dome of the Salute church.

I know I didn't answer your original question, but thought I would give you a nice luxury option away from the hordes.