Hotel d'Aubusson vs Hotel de l'abbaye

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25th, 2007, 06:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Trying to decide between a duplex apartment with private terrace (430 sq ft) at Hotel de l'Abbaye vs grand luxe apartment with beamed ceilings at Hotel d'Aubusson (between 238-324 sf) for 4 nts. in late May.
At latter, their romance package includes airport limo pickup, luncheon in room, 2 tickets to classical music concert, 1 day museum pass, 2 river cruise tickets (doubt if we'll use all these in 4 days). The room at Abbaye is about $35 more per night than d'Aubusson package.
I like the bigger room size at Abbaye and the fact that there are only four of these terrace suites. At the d'Aubusson, we don't know whether we'll be put in one of the larger rooms and we don't arrive at the hotel until 7pm (not a good time to request a different room).
That said, here are the other factors we want to consider and compare: the decor, atmosphere and service at these two hotels? Is location equally good?
Your thoughts, svp.
Old Jan 25th, 2007, 06:35 PM

Both of those hotels are fine choices. I have stayed at Hotel de l'Abbaye. It's a beautiful property that I enjoyed very much. I have never been at Hotel d'Aubusson, but other TAs in my agency recommend it highly.

If you want to be assigned one of the larger rooms, your best bet may be to have a travel agency with a relationship with d'Aubusson speak directly with the management at the time of booking and request that you be blocked into a large room.
Old Jan 25th, 2007, 06:42 PM

I like the location of the d'Aubusson better. You are much closer to the Seine, wonderful little street, surrounded by galleries and restaurants and it is such a beautiful hotel!
Old Jan 28th, 2007, 03:49 PM
Original Poster

Yes, I can see that the d'Aubusson has the superior location. Hmmm, still debating. Any other feedback?
Old Jan 28th, 2007, 04:22 PM
GBC

We visited the d'Aubusson in one of their sperior rooms. It was not a suite but it was very comfortable and also quite spacious. We were happy with the hotel in every way. The service is excellent. The location, as you have noted, is excellent. It was our first time in Paris and the proximity to the Seine was very enjoyable. We took the book ride right from Pont Neuf. Notre Dame and St. Chapelle are just a short stroll after dinner.

Our single, very small, complaint was about breakfast. The food was fine but the price was very high.

Would we stay there again? You bet.
Old Jan 28th, 2007, 05:14 PM

I thought the romance package at d'Aubusson guaranteed you a particular room type so do not understand your being "not sure" of being in the larger room.

Have you read the reviews of both hotels on TripAdvisor? At least once mentioned the decor at 'd'Aubusson as I recall.
Old Feb 1st, 2007, 11:03 AM
Original Poster

The d'Aubusson does specify the grand lux room for their package; grand lux rooms however vary in size there between 258-324 sq feet. I have written them to ask if they will block me in to a particular room, so I'll see what they say. I have reserverd at L'Abbaye to cover my bets.
Old Feb 1st, 2007, 11:07 AM

Room area--square footage is important, but sometimes the configuration of the room is also important. Many hotels are in older buildings. If the extra space is in an unusable alcove or foyer, it may not make that much difference.
Old Feb 1st, 2007, 12:12 PM
Weekender

The Hotel de l'Abbaye is a wonderful property. Beautiful public rooms and delightful patio. Staff is terrific. Stayed there recently in a large twin and was very pleased. Have re-booked for this spring.

Old Feb 6th, 2007, 09:10 PM
Original Poster

The d'Aubusson didn't have a large grand lux available for my dates so I'm happily settling on Hotel de l'Abbaye. I hope to write a rave review on it in June.
Merci to all.
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 09:58 PM

Ooh, are you staying in l'Abbaye's duplex apartment? Lucky you! I was just saying to DH that we will have to do that some day.

We have fallen into a terrible habit of ONLY being able to stay at l'Abbaye - we've actually CANCELLED trips because they've been booked. So, I hope you love it as much as we do. But if you do, please - SHHHH! It's hard enough to get a room there as it is!
Old Feb 7th, 2007, 08:01 PM
Original Poster

Mums the word.