Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Hotel D-Aubusson or Hotel Sainte Beuve in Paris???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2nd, 2004, 07:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Which hotel should I pick? I will be in Paris for 6 nights and the difference is about $200. Which hotel is better?
Old Mar 2nd, 2004, 08:38 AM

The d'Aubusson is a 4* and the Sainte-Beuve is a 3*. The d'Aubusson is a great favorite of visitors to Paris and gets generally high praise. So if you can afford it, go for it!
Old Mar 2nd, 2004, 09:49 AM

Assume you mean $200 difference total for the 6 nights? Just wanted to post that we returned just yesterday from a 6 night stay at Sainte Beuve and loved it. Paid 168E per night for a "classic" room on the 5th floor. It's a lovely little hotel - though admittedly I have only a similar length stay 20 years ago at Les Deux Continents on Rue Jacob to compare. Lobby is lovely with small lr with fireplace, also small area for breakfast/bar. Desk help was very nice - willing to speak English or French as you prefer - particularly liked Cecelia. Only 3 rooms per floor. Lovely winding staircase between -- tiny, efficient elevator worked well with little waiting time. Breakfast was 14E extra, so we never ate there.
It was quiet (jet lagged we slept -unintentionally till 11 one am!) We loved the neighborhood -- had great meals at Parc aux Cerfs and Bistrot du Dome, both nearby and fairly reasonable. Wanted to try the tiny, recommended by Patricia Wells "Le Timbre" just two doors down from Sainte Beuve but it was booked and open only Mon. - Friday. Also became fond of the News Cafe for light fare. Food good, staff friendly. Nice walk across Luxembourg Gardens to get to St. Germain. Easy walk to 3 metro stops nearby -- Vavin, Raspail, and Edgar Quinet for other lines. Some nice shops nearby as well. Would be happy to answer any more questions you have.
Old Mar 2nd, 2004, 10:16 AM

I am not familiar with Hotel sainte Beuve, but I love the D'Aubusson. I stayed there twice last year and will be there again in April. I love the location - just off Rue de Buci and about half way between the river and Blvd St Germain. The staff speak English and are extremely helpful. And the hotel is beautiful with well appointed bed rooms and roomy baths.
Whichever you choose, I'm sure you will have a wonderful time!
Old Mar 2nd, 2004, 07:47 PM

I loved the D'Aubusson too. The staff was so friendly and the hotel is in a great location.
Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 05:12 PM
Original Poster

Glover - please email me at [email protected] and tell me more about the Ste. Beuve. I also would love some bistro recommendations in that area. Thanks for your post - it was so helpful!