Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Hotel Cristoforo Colombo Milano---location OK?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29th, 2009, 10:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be spending one night in Milan next June with our two nearly adult daughters. As much as I would like to stay someplace "trend" like Hotal Spadari while in Milan, we cannot realistically afford two rooms there. I know the Gran Duci di York is well-regarded, but they are not booking for next June yet, so I cannot tell what the rate would be. I have found that rates for Saturday night there (which is what our date will be) range from around 110 euro up to 170 euro, probably depending on what is going on in town.

I found a good rate (136 euro per room, with breakfast) at the Cristoforo Columbo, which is on Corso Buenos Aires right by the Ponte di Venezia metro station. It looks nice online, and gets very good reviews (which appear to be genuine) on Tripadvisor---rated just below the Gran Duca di York. I got a nice personal e-mail from the reservation staff with the offer.

So what should I do? Is the Gran Duca di York so much better (and better located) that I should wait and take a chance on the rate? Or is the location of the Cristoforo Colombo OK? I see it is near the fashion district, and the girls will probably want to visit that anyway---just a walk by, not shopping! Apart from that, we'll want to see the Duomo and the Galleria, all on Saturday afternoon when we arrive. Then have a nice dinner (suggestions?)

We do like to walk everywhere if possible, but we'd take a taxi from the central train station to the hotel, with our luggage. But I've not been to Milan before, so I don't know how realistic this is. We prefer walking through parks or piazzas, on pedestrian streets, or smaller streets, as opposed to big traffic-filled arterials.

Thanks for your help and suggestions.
Old Sep 29th, 2009, 10:40 AM

"Cristoforo Columbo, which is on Corso Buenos Aires right by the Ponte di Venezia metro station."

For clarity for others, it is right by the PORTA VENEZIA metro stop.
Old Sep 29th, 2009, 10:51 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the correction!
Old Sep 29th, 2009, 02:07 PM

Hi,

I kind of know Milano, and I looked at a map, and if tripadvisor reviews vouch for the hotel as clean, I would go for it. It's reasonably well located although a somewhat lengthy walk to the Duomo, galleria, etc -- but not beyond the abilities of fit people. If you find yourselves footsore, a taxi back to the hotel won't be a budget buster for 4 people, and the subway system is straightforward and safe.

I've only seen the Gran Duca di York and part of the raves it gets have to do with the fact that it is one of the few very old-fashioned Italian buildings left in Milano. It has old-world charm but from what I've seen, the rooms are very basic -- and you really shouldn't hang out on a limb for it. That rate for Cristoforo is very appealing for Milano -- and I'm sure they have a cancellation policy if you change your mind later on.

Milano is not really a strolling town. I adore its buzz and glamour, but it roars with traffic and is filled with pollution (mercifully it is flat with good sidewalks). Head for the via Danta for some nice strolling, and the via Brera for some lovely twillight cocktails in the open air among the models. The San Babila area is nice for pastries in the afternoon (although after seeing the tiny clothes and skinny models, your daughters may resist indulging!)

Otherwise, avoid Milano's parks and there are not many tranquil pizze. The best that Milano has to offer -- and it is wonderful, don't miss it -- is the Pinoteca Ambrosiana, the Duomo, the charming Museum of the duomo, the galleria and sushi, window shopping and other glam things, the fun of high-speed modern Italy.

Have a great trip!
Old Sep 29th, 2009, 02:07 PM

Sorry for my typo: It's the via Dante
Old Sep 30th, 2009, 12:40 PM
Original Poster

Thank you zeppole! You describe just the way we want to spend our time in Milan---enjoying the buzz and the glamour.

I will put via Dante, via Brera, San Babila (no worries about the girls---they can eat pastry and fit into the skinny clothes because we all exercise a lot), and the Pinoteca Ambrosiana on our list of "must do", along with the Duomo and the Galleria.

What reason is there to avoid the parks? Not safe to walk through? Would we be OK to go running there in the daytime, all four together? Or is that (running for exercise) "not done" in Italy in the city?
Old Oct 1st, 2009, 01:14 PM

You'll be fine in the daytime, and you'll see lots of other exercisers in Milano. You might ask at your hotel for some favorite jogging routes.

My reason for suggesting you not make parks a destination is that Italian urban parks are seldom well maintained. They tend to get very tired looking. They are most enjoyed by dog walkers (and I've yet to run across a town in Italy with a poop-scoop law, although Milan may be the exception, but be careful!)

Of course Da Vinci's Last Supper is a fabulous thing. If it's not already on your list, I hope you'll put it there. You need reservations.