Hotel Colon in Barcelona

Search

Hotel Colon in Barcelona

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1st, 2004, 08:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotel Colon in Barcelona

I have visited Barcelona before and loved wandering the Barri Gotic. The area has lots of character and history that I love. At that time I stayed at the Citadines on Las Ramblas, which was also a very nice location. I liked being able to walk out of the hotel and be in the thick of things. I would stay there again, but I thought it might be nice to try something a little different, and with more character.

Since I enjoyed the Barri Gotic, I am thinking about staying at the Hotel Colon, right across from the cathedral. I have 2 concerns, however -safety and value.

The most important is the safety issue. Will my husband and I be safe walking back to the Colon after a late dinner? I have read that the area has a higer crime rate but I am not sure if that is recent information, or just old news.

I am also wondering if the Colon is a good value. If I stay at the Colon I would only reserve a Cathedral view, since, in my opinion, that is one of the great draws for the hotel. The rate for a double with view is 195 Euros plus 7% vat. If it were 195 dollars, I would not even question the value. But given the poor conversion rate from the dollar to the Euro, the cost of the room will be approx. 25% more in dollars.

I would appreciate any and all opinions and suggestions.

Thank you!
Old Feb 1st, 2004, 09:32 AM

The Ritz is not much more money per night if that would interest you. Perhaps you have opinions on that property too, if so I'd be delighted to hear from you.
Old Feb 1st, 2004, 11:36 AM

we stayed there last year,safety was not a problem,although we had dinner last night with a couple who were pick pocketed(or tried to be) twice in two hours on the Rambla! We thought it was fine,we walked along way back from the restaurants. i dont think we apid that much,we booked through our travel agent. The rooms were very nice,the staff very helpful with restaurants,the view GREAT!! dont miss the little gallery just to the left of the cathedral,we bought some great artwork there.
Old Feb 1st, 2004, 12:06 PM

We stayed at the Colon a couple of years ago - we had a suite with cathedral view for 2 adults + 2 kids so it was quite good value. The thought that it could be unsafe never crossed our minds. The view was beautiful and it was so close to everything. We always walked home at night.
Old Feb 1st, 2004, 01:37 PM

We stayed there many years ago... and have not forgotten the view of the cathedral lighted at night. Also, we were there on weekend when the locals gathered to perform the Sardana (sp?) on the steps (with original instruments.) Our room was nothing special, and from a recent viewing of their website it doesnt look like much has changed. But that view was worth it.

We were in Barcelona in early November(didn't stay at the Colon) and I seem to recall scaffolding on the cathedral.
Perhaps someone else has more recent info. (I may just be suffering from European-cathedral-scaffolding overload -
Old Feb 1st, 2004, 05:47 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for your positive posts! I feel much better about booking the hotel now.

Grandma, I am definitely going to look into the scaffolding situation. Thanks for the tip.

Now, if I could only find a way to get a better rate. That would really make my day! If you have any suggestions, please share.

Thanks again!
Old Feb 2nd, 2004, 06:22 AM
JonJon

I would only stay in the Colon IF I could GET a cathedral view...had a very positive experience there a few years ago..and I think the view goes a long way toward making the place as good as it is. As to the safety issue...Barcelona is the only place I've ever been pickpocketed and that's because I wasn't using a money belt..and that was on the Metro. The area around the Colon seemed as "safe" as any other to me.
But perhaps you could get m_kingdom to go along as a bodyguard since that person is obviously has a lot of nerve!
Enjoy Barcelona.