Reload this Page >

Hotel close to airport in Madrid

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13th, 2001, 07:14 AM
jill

Any suggestions for a hotel near the airport in Madrid? I return to Madrid from my Spain trip late in the day, and have a very early morning flight out- I won't have much time. Or- are there hotels in Madrid itself that would have a shuttle to get me to the airport early am?

Old Apr 13th, 2001, 07:54 AM
mary lewis

We had the same problem you did - ended upstaying at a hotel in the Sofitel line - I can't remember the name - I will look at home and let you know. It was a big box hotel but plenty clean and they had a free shuttle to the airport (about 10 minutes away). There was also a big Corte Ingles store nearby that you could walk to if you want to do any last minute shopping.

Old Apr 13th, 2001, 10:16 AM
jill

Thanks- feel free to email me direct if you would like.

Old Apr 13th, 2001, 12:47 PM
Maribel

Hi Jill, <BR>Sorry I didn't get back to your earlier post before Travel Talk went into its long siesta. <BR>There are a number of good, functional hotels near the airport (like the newish Sofitel which Mary Lewis mentioned which is near the shopping complex, the Novotel Campo Naciones, Hotel Barajas, Hotel Diana, the Best Western Villa de Barajas), but I don't use them. For an early flight, I stay instead in Madrid proper, but in the rather chic Salamanca shopping/residential district, which has great shopping, fine dining, nice tapas bars, even a boutique El Corte Ingles-and I chose one of 3 hotels right on the direct route to Barajas airport. I usually stay at the dependable 4 star Melia Confort Los Galgos (www.solmelia.es), which is very comfortable and has good value weekend rates, the NH Principe de Vergara (www.nh-hoteles.es) which is similar, and last year I discovered the new Aparthotel El Madrono, with spacious rms with kitchenettes. For my early morning flight it only took me 15 minutes by taxi to get to the International Terminal I of Barajas. In the early morning hours, when given an open road, Madrid taxi drivers are true speed demons. I much prefer to stay in this area because of its conveniences (last minute shopping on Serrano and Ortega & Gasset streets, plenty of bars and restaurants to chose from, interesting people watching), and it's a very safe, upscale, attractive neighborhood that will leave you with a very pleasant image of the city. <BR>From this area, a taxi to Barajas will most definitely be quicker (again, no longer than 15 min) than the AeroCity shuttle service, which makes several stops at hotels before heading out to Barajas. <BR>Hope this helps.

Old Apr 13th, 2001, 01:30 PM
Maira

I just returned last Wednesday from Spain. The Hotel Atlantico (part of the Best Western organization) on Gran Via has a shuttle van to the Airport for 800 pesetas (about $4/person). I highly recommend them, and add to the fact that you would be able to spend your last night in Madrid right in the city (short walking distance to Puerta del Sol, Plaza Mayor, etc...). I am working on a trip report, which I plan to post, but if you need any info in a hurry, just let me know.