Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Hotel Clos la Boetie Sarlat (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/hotel-clos-la-boetie-sarlat-630376/)

glsebs Jul 12th, 2006 08:43 AM

Hotel Clos la Boetie Sarlat

I found this hotel in the JP Moser Chateau book. It is a 4 star hotel with 11 rooms about a 5 minute walk from centre ville Sarlat. It got one great review on Trip Advisor, but I cannot find any mention of it on this Forum.
Any information or reviews would be greatly appreciated.

Carlux Jul 12th, 2006 01:00 PM

Just a note to say that you may not get many comments about this hotel, as it is very new - I think it opened around late autumn 2005. Good location not quite the centre of Sarlat, but only about 5 minutes away - which is not a bad idea if you're there in the high season, when the old town can be very crowded and noisy.

It is in a renovated building, right next to (I think attached to) the Hotel de Selves, which has been open quite a long time. I assume it is run by the same people, and so perhaps if you find reviews of the Selves, it might help.

The Clos la Boetie looks like a much more interesting building than the Selves, which is modern , and one of the few hotels that is air conditioned.

It's very close to the Bistro de L'Octroi, now pretty well acknowledged as the best restaurant in Sarlat. In fact the Bistro's opening was delayed because they had to wait for the renovation team to finish at the Hotel.

glsebs Jul 12th, 2006 01:21 PM

Carlux,
Thanks very much for the information. I will probably reserve it for our stay in early May. Also, I appreciated the restaurant recommendation too!

ekscrunchy Jul 12th, 2006 02:02 PM

I am saving this for the restaurant rec. Thanks, Carlux. Can you provide any more info on the Bistro de l'Octroi? Last time in Sarlat the only place I remember eating was Le Presidial which I thought was good but not memorable. How does Octroi compare?

Planning a visit in October so am compiling notes now, particularly on dining in the Dordogne.

Carlux Jul 13th, 2006 01:26 AM

From our Housebook:

Bistro de L’Octroi , new in November 2005, from the couple who own La Meynardie a wonderful country restaurant, and one of the best in Sarlat. 05 53 30 83 40. At the top of the Rue de la Republique, the main road, you’ll see the hotel Madeleine – the restaurant is about 100 metres up the road. Inventive cooking, more interesting than virtually anything else in town, nicely decorated, good service –not expensive, and open for lunch and dinner every day. (The Octroi was formerly a tax paid on entering town, and the restaurant is on the site of the northern gate for collecting this tax.)

We like the Presidial, but you can get lighter, more interesting meals at the Octroi, and it's less expensive. The garden isnt quite as nice as at the Presidial, but still very attractive.

ekscrunchy Jul 13th, 2006 05:21 AM

Thank you, Carlux. I will put it on my short list for October.

annieladd Jul 13th, 2006 06:06 PM

ttt

La_Tour_de_Cause Jul 20th, 2006 08:47 AM

Thanks, Carlux. Walked by the Bistro de l'Octroi the other day, and found the carte intriguing. We'll have to give it a try soon, once this beastly heat settles down. Not venturing into Sarlat these days, unless forced to.
Tonight we'll eat with guests at Le Tournepique in Castelnaud. It's Basque Tapas, and great fun. The menu is a little confusing at first, but now we're starting to recognize some of the dishes. And it's air-conditioned!
Only got up to 36 degrees (C.) at our house today!

moolyn Jul 20th, 2006 09:01 AM

Regarding Bistro de l'Octroi, we ate there several times during our recent stay in Sarlat. I'll include some pictures in my trip report in the next few days. I actually liked the food better than at the Presidial but the Presidial has such great atmosphere.

crazyweb Nov 12th, 2006 04:08 AM

just to say that le Bistro de l'Octroi in Sarlat is open since one year:In November,22 will celebrate the birthday of le Bistro de l'Octroi:you are invite to join us to share a glass of champagne or contact us: http://perso.orange.fr/loctroi/