Hotel Choices in Sorrento

Old Feb 17th, 2020, 06:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotel Choices in Sorrento

Greetings! I'm seeking some good hotel suggestions in Sorrento for a 4 or 5-night stay in late-May. We are a family of 3 - 2 adults and an 18-year old. While there seems to be many choices, I've found the ones closest to town to be super expensive. I know the Hilton Sorrento Palace is a bit more reasonable but I'm concerned it's too far to walk back from town and I'd like to avoid taxis. If anyone would have a hidden gem they could recommend, it would be super appreciated!!
Old Feb 17th, 2020, 06:25 PM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post
I stayed at the Hilton using points for 5 nights. Yes, it is a bit of a hike but there are steps into town that you can use instead of the road which saves some time. I walked into town and back twice a day. I had a fabulous view of the bay and Vesuvius, overlooking the pool.
Old Feb 17th, 2020, 07:21 PM

There is also a bus that stops right in front of the Hilton that goes to the center of town or to the train station. Maybe double check this, though, as I was there over ten years ago.
Old Feb 18th, 2020, 02:01 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Maybe try Il Saraceno or the Hotel Plaza. I've stayed in both for a few nights and was happy with the rooms and facilities.
Old Feb 18th, 2020, 02:13 AM

I think some searches through the internet could yield one of those hidden gems. I found some good budget options like Sorrento Rooms, Sorrento Stylish Rooms, Lemon Factor Sorrento, Sorrento Dream Resort and many more. This will take some effort on your part while searching through Google, sending emails to each of them and even calling them but it would be worth the effort at the end.
Old Feb 18th, 2020, 05:15 AM

I stayed at the Grand Hotel Capodimonte (https://www.capodimontesorrento.com/). There were actually 4 of us... my wife and my 17 and 20 year-old daughters. It was a very nice hotel. During down time, the girls enjoyed the pools.

It was a reasonable walk into town (uphill on the way back). We never used a taxi. We walked down to the pier for the ferry ride to Capri. We did have private tours when we went to Pompeii and Positano. When we were there when we visited Positano and the Amalfi Coast and it was over run with tourists (early June). We ended up going into Ravello, one of the mountain towns.

In Sorrento, I sprung for rooms with views and it was totally worth it. We were there for 4 nights which includes the first night we arrived in Italy. Enjoy your travels!
Old Feb 18th, 2020, 06:09 AM

I have the fondest memories of Hotel Mediterraneo in Sant'Agnello di Sorrento. It is 3 km from the centre of Sorrento but there's a bus stop right in front of the hotel.
Old Feb 18th, 2020, 06:12 AM

Received 25 Likes on 3 Posts
I can recommend Casa Astarita, friendly staff, excellent in-town location, modest rates & I see they have triple rooms. I stayed several years ago so check recent reviews but I loved the place.

https://www.casastarita.com/
Old Feb 18th, 2020, 06:14 AM
Original Poster

thank you! Capodimonte looks great! Did you hire a private tour once you arrived in Capri or did you explore at your own pace?
Old Feb 18th, 2020, 06:47 AM

I second MyriamC's suggestion of Hotel Mediterraneo, we spent a week there and loved it. We had a sea view room and it was so lovely to wake up every day looking at the bay of Naples. Staff, food, etc were great.
We walked into the centre of Sorrento every day and back, it's a pleasant flat walk, took about 15 or 20 minutes; or the hotel has a shuttle.
Old Feb 18th, 2020, 07:29 AM

This is from 2005 but the hotel Vesuvio view was astounding. Big pool, restaurant, bar. Great place to end a busy day. A little jitney was on call to take folks to downtown Sorrento and back. As mentioned, this is old info but the link still works. Do check if things are the same.

Grand Hotel Vesuvio Sorrento - Sorrento Hotels Sorrento accommodation Acampora Hotels

Greggism, from downtown Sorrento, DH and I took a city bus to the town of Amalfi. And the train to Pompeii and Naples. We walked to the ferry depot for Capri tickets. Please report back about your experiences and have a super time.

In Capri, we used our guide book and simply walked.

Last edited by TDudette; Feb 18th, 2020 at 07:31 AM. Reason: Adding Capri info.
Old Feb 18th, 2020, 04:53 PM

Regarding Capri - We did a private tour. When I feel our time is so limited, I'll book a private tour. I like having someone to be able to ask questions and provide local insights. We've been lucky, we've always had guides that are very passionate about the areas we've toured.
Old Feb 19th, 2020, 11:56 AM

I think Miki2621 makes a valid point. We progressed from tours to DIY travel and slowly started including tours. Loved not schlepping for tickets!
Old Feb 19th, 2020, 01:12 PM

I stayed at the Villa di Sorrento a number of years ago. It's right off Piazza Tasso, looks like it's been upgraded since I was there, gets great reviews on TA, and I'll likely stay there again the next time I'm in Sorrento. Picking a random 5 nights at the very end of May for 3 people, it's still under 160 E. per night, including b'fast. Not bad.

www.villadisorrento.it
Old Feb 20th, 2020, 06:06 AM

If looking for something a little different, you might check out B&B Marina Piccola right on the waterfront facing the ferry port. We have stayed there twice. The quiet evenings on their terrace with a view of Vesuvius were magical. As for price, we were there several years ago with our adult children and two waterfront rooms were a fair deal at the time. Last year our one room was also fair, but definitely not budget rate. It is easy to get up to town using the elevator just down the shore. Verifying the closing time with the attendant each evening is a good idea, especially if you are visiting in the off-season. Good luck with your hunt.
-Annie