Hotel choice in Rome

Old Aug 22nd, 2008, 11:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post
Hotel choice in Rome

I can't decide between Arco del Lauro (in Trastevere) and Locando degli Antiquari which is lcoated on a small street off via de Coronari, I believe in Piazza Navone. They look the same in price and accommodations although I couldn't find anything on Trip Advisor or this site for Locando..

HELP please. Thanks
Old Aug 22nd, 2008, 03:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have you tried looking on venere.com or romeby.com for user reviews?

You should try to pin down the exact location of Locanda degli Antiquari to make sure it's where you think it is -- although there are certainly a lot of antique shops just off the piazza Navona.
Old Aug 22nd, 2008, 05:34 PM

Locanda degli Antiquari is between P. Navona and Castel Sant'Angelo .
Old Aug 22nd, 2008, 06:06 PM
Original Poster

Although there are many very positive reviews for Arco del Lauro, I guess my reservation is that it is across the Tiber. Does that make it a little longer walk to the popular tourist destinations.
Old Aug 22nd, 2008, 06:16 PM

eznmomma

They look the same in price? On Locanda degli Anitquari's website the prices for a double range from 100 to over 200 euros.

I can only speak for Arco del Lauro; we stayed there in May and enjoyed our stay very much.

We had been to Rome several times before and were looking for value and not convenience. We thought Arco del Lauro was a good value. Of course there were some inconveniences (having to go out for breakfast; no full time staff; reception next door) but our room was very clean, comfortable, and pleasant.

But if I could get a similar room at the same price in a new place on via de Coronari, I might have to try that.

We took a chance with TeatroPace33 when they were new, and got a great rate. Rates there are now at least double what we paid when it was new.

Since Locanda degli Antiquari is new, my thought would be if it is the same price as Arco del Lauro, go for it.

But if it is more for the same dates, I can only tell you that we enjoyed Arco del Lauro and saved a lot of money. Also,we used public transportation exclusively, saving a lot of money with the Roma Pass. The trams were about two blocks from Arco del Lauro. Able to go from FCO > Trastevere station > to the B&B by tram fairly economically.
Old Aug 22nd, 2008, 06:38 PM
Original Poster

I got quotes from the owners of both. Arco Del Lauro gave me 105E and Locando degli Antiquari 100E. However, a different booking company for Arco del Lauro has a very different rate for that hotel. I asked for a quote through that site.

So my question now is about the area of Antiquari. Is it just as close to the sights and any easier being east of the Tiber? It sounds as though that area is generally higher priced that the site of Arco del Lauro. Thoughts?

Old Aug 22nd, 2008, 06:56 PM

eznmomma,

You'll get differing opinions about whether Trastevere is conveniently located, but most first time visitors to Roma find being near to the piazza Navona convenient, because many of the most famous sites surround it in one direction or another.

But if you have a sightseeing agenda that focuses heavily on the Vatican and the Colisseum/Forum and even the Pantheon, no reason not to stay in Trastevere, and some people (like me!) enjoy the two-steps off the track atmosphere. I always walk in Rome, and don't like to rely on public transportation.

If the Borghese Galleries, the Spanish Steps and other sights in the direction of the Via Veneto are where you want to be spending the bulk of your time, you might find Trastevere inconvenient, especially if you like to go back to your hotel during the day. The downside of being between the piazza Navona and Castel Sant'Angelo is the more circus-like, touristy atmosphere, which diminishes as the summer fades.

You might find yourself more willing to stroll before and after dinner nearer the Piazza Navona, not because it's all that safer, but because it's easier to familiarize yourself with Roman streets in that radius.