Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Hotel choice in Paris: Paris Hotel France , College de France, or Comfort Hotel Andre Latin

Hotel choice in Paris: Paris Hotel France , College de France, or Comfort Hotel Andre Latin

Jul 30th, 2002, 06:46 PM
Larry

Hi,

I have it narrowed down to 3 hotels. Paris Hotel France at 72 Rue Turbigo in the 3rd district...College de France at 7 Rue Thenard in the 5th district, and Comfort Hotel Andre Latin which is at 52 Rue Gay Lussac, which is in the 5 th district. Looking for something that is clean, safe, good location and not to far from major attractions, price, Any info would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Larry

Jul 30th, 2002, 06:51 PM
Liz

Out of your 3 choices I've only heard of Hotel College du France. It's a basic two-star hotel that's in a good area.

Comfort Inns do not have any charm.

Jul 31st, 2002, 08:27 AM
Mavis

We are staying at the College de France in September. Did a lot of research and they were on top for area, budget, balcony, ensuite facilities and helpfulness via e-mail. We have done all our booking with them via e-mail, and they have graciously answered a ton of my questions, in English. Website: www.collegedefrance.com/histoireus.html

Jul 31st, 2002, 08:43 AM
xxx

Mavis, I checked the website for Hotel College de France, and I couldn't find any mention of balconies. Is this something you found out via email?
Thanks,

Jul 31st, 2002, 09:07 AM
Christina

I have never heard of the Hotel France in the 3rd (but I don't tend to know much about hotels in that area -- unless you have specific business over there, I think that location will not be as convenient or interesting for you, so I'd rule that out).

I've read good reviews on the College de France, also (in fact, I don't think I've seen a bad one). It's own web site is very nice and has lots of photos, some of the exterior which show only one major balcony that I can see, but it looks like a nice end room: http://www.hotel-collegedefrance.com/homeus.html

I don't think all Comfort Inns have no charm as a rule -- they are just French hotels that have joined that franchise company, many were around for along time (including that one). It is true that Comfort Inn has somewhat lower quality than, say Best Western, I think, on average (there is a 1-star Comfort Inn in Montmartre that I think is pretty bad, BW won't take 1-stars, or even 2-stars, I think). That same company has other hotels in its group but I think Comfort Inn is the lower tier. I've seen a couple in Paris that looked just as average on the charm-meter as any other 2-star hotel in that price range, including two in the Latin Qtr (the Andre Latin and the one on rue Mouffetard which you also might consider, I suppose). You don't get buckets of charm in a 2-star hotel less than 100 euro in central Paris (actually that hotel seems to have some small balconies on the 2nd floor). In any case, that is a good and convenient area near the Luxembourg RER, and off the main drag (ie, bd St-Michel) so quieter.

Jul 31st, 2002, 09:09 AM
Christina

oh, BTW, there are customer comments on Parisian hotels at www.paris.org/Hotels, including a couple nice reviews of the Hotel Andre Latin (which appear to be before it join CI).

Jul 31st, 2002, 09:36 AM
Sue

We stayed at College de France a couple of years ago and thought it was fine. Because it is on the corner of Thénard and Sommerard (2 small streets), even though it's a busier area in general, it was very quiet. I loved the location--easy to walk to Notre Dame and the two islands, closer to the center than Andre Latin. It is also close to the Cluny museum.

I have never heard of Andre Latin, but two drawbacks I think would be that it's on a busy street and it's far from regular Metro lines. I prefer to avoid RER if possible simply because there is a longer tromp to transfer from RER to Metro. Maybe I am being wrong-headed here.

You can see guest reviews for College de France at the following URL (also the booking service we used):

http://digital.france.com/hotels/hot...l?HotelID=9357