Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Hotel 'Chateau de Rousaan' in St Remy, Provance (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/hotel-chateau-de-rousaan-in-st-remy-provance-156618/)

Zarah Aug 7th, 2001 08:37 AM

Hotel 'Chateau de Rousaan' in St Remy, Provance

Has anyone heard of this hotel and what are your thoughts? We are planning to stay there and would like any info on the place/ area. <BR> <BR>Thanks <BR>

PB Aug 7th, 2001 08:58 AM

The Chateau de Roussan is a ffew kilometres outside of St. Remy de Provence. It has beautiful gardens, but the buildings are rather rundown, in my opinion. Some call it rustic charm.... <BR> <BR>The area is wonderful (I live nearby) and a great base for sightseeing trips. <BR>Glanum ( the Roman ruins just outside of St. Remy in the direction of Les Baux) <BR>Les Baux de Provence <BR>Arles <BR>Pont du Gard <BR>Rousillon, Menerbes, Bonnieux, l'Isle sur la Sorgue, Pernes la Fontaine - ion the Luberon region - less than an hour's drive away. <BR>Good restaurants, vineyards for wine tasting, olive oil mills to visit - there's enough to keep a person busy for weeks. <BR> <BR>PB <BR>

Beth Aug 7th, 2001 09:36 AM

I've always wanted to stay in St. Remy since reading about it - but have yet to make it there. Since you live there, could you advise us regarding places to stay? What would be your first choice for an upscale, intimate Inn with a pool and dining room for a week's stay? And what would be your first choice for a month's stay in a 2-3 room apartment with kitchen facitilites near a market and train station - that also might have pool privileges somewhere. (Okay, so I'm dreaming with that last question. BUT, my motto is "be prepared." If the opportunity should ever present itself, I'll know what to do!)

PB Aug 7th, 2001 12:31 PM

Beth, <BR> <BR>Since yesterday I've been unable to have my replies posted when I cut and paste from my files.... I've tried again this evening to no avail...so if you'd really like an answer immediately <BR>you can email me. I'll be happy to post some information once this problem clears up. <BR> <BR>One point though - there is no train station in St Remy, the market is on Wednesday morning (big) and Saturday morning (small) and the rest of the time there are many little excellent shops for food. <BR> <BR>PB <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>

Beth Aug 7th, 2001 01:33 PM

Aahhh... Very interesting. That would have been a surprise! (So much for MY research!) Thanks so much for responding. I'll look forward to "your picks" as a resident when you can get that cut&paste thing going again!

wendy Aug 7th, 2001 05:53 PM

just got back from a trip in France 2 days ago. we absolutely loved St. Remy. Stayed in hotel with pool, sauna, gym, billiards, upscale etc. <BR>Here is the info:Hostellerie du Vallon de Valrugues <BR>Tel: +33 0 4 90 92 04 40 <BR>Website: www.slh.com/valrugues <BR>PB was very helpful in helping me to plan this trip- and also in suggesting St. Remy. Thanks- PB

Ruth Aug 8th, 2001 07:32 AM

Beth, another recommendation is Domaine de Valmouraine. Has a pool and excellent dining room, also billiards table as I recall. Our room was lovely.