Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Hotel Cesari in Rome, Locanda San Barnaba in Venice; opinions please?

Notices

Old Sep 30th, 2000, 11:49 AM
Judy

Has anyone out there stayed lately at the Hotel Cesari in Rome or the Locanda San Barnaba in Venice? I would appreciate hearing your opinion.
Also, I would love to know of a wonderful hotel to stay in as a base from which to visit the Lucca-Sienna area, and also one between Venice and Milan before taking a 2pm plane out of Milan.
Thank you.
Judy

Old Oct 1st, 2000, 07:38 AM
Don

Cesari is nice and in a great central location at a good price!

Old Oct 1st, 2000, 01:00 PM
Rex

I agree that Cesari is thumbs up - - and if you are foolish enough to take a car into Rome (like me), the nearest parking garage is quite close - - between the Trevi fountain and the hotel - - less than 200 yards (pretty good by Rome standards!)

And you CAN drive a car right up to the front door for unloading purposes, even though you might never guess it, given the location.

Best wishes,

Rex

Old Oct 3rd, 2000, 07:42 AM
mode

Judy, Hotel Cesari is fine and a great location but don't think it is a romantic, quaint hotel. The room we had was large (A) but the decor I would rate as C. Location was A for everything but St. Peters and Sistine Chapel. Pantheon was almost next door and Trevi Fountain a block away. Coliseum, ancient room, and Spanish Steps were a few blocks away but walkable.

Old Oct 8th, 2000, 01:59 AM
Judy

Thank you, friends, for reasssuring me about Hotel Cesari. Even if it lacks in ambience, judging by the response I have gotten to my emails the staff is very friendly and helpful and that, together with its great location, and now your recommendations, satisfies me. And no, I am not driving a car into Rome. I am such a coward about driving that we will not have a car until we leave Florence even though I otherwise would drive out to Hadrian's villa when we leave Rome (I read there are buses there, though). I admire your courage.
The only other hotel which appeals to me, though it costs more, is Albergo del Sole which, according to Karen Brown's book, looks out on the Pantheon. Wow.
Fodor recommends this hotel as well as the Cesari. Couldn't find Cesari in the other guide books I've looked at, though, so I am especially grateful for this first-hand information.
Thanks again,
Judy

Old Oct 10th, 2000, 10:30 AM
carol

Judy-- Don't feel bad about not looking out at the Pantheon. The piazza is a major late night hangout for twentysomethings and teens in Rome. So it's really noisy!!