Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Hotel Caron de Beaumarchais (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/hotel-caron-de-beaumarchais-411031/)

melissa19 Mar 15th, 2004 05:55 AM

Hotel Caron de Beaumarchais

can you tell my trip is drawing near?!

for anyone who has stayed at this hotel . . . i understand the front rooms with balcony are either on the 2-3 floors (?) or smaller rooms at the top, but with a view. is that correct? opinions? is the view worth the smaller room?

and if so, is it rude to request a particular room like that?

thanks!

goslow Mar 15th, 2004 06:13 AM

Stayed here a couple of years ago. Rooom 32, impossible to forget, absolutely the smallest hotel room I have ever had. The view was of the backside of the next door apartment. The only light coming from a narrow shaft that separated the two buildings.
Never saw what the other rooms looked like. We asked to change rooms but there were none available. This was our first trip to europe and we thought that maybe that was just the way things were. Having said that, I would still stay at this hotel. The location, especially for someone unfamiliar with Paris, is exceptional. Near the Metro, Notre Dame, St. Chappelle, stores, shops, restaurants and cafes. The Rue de Rivoli and the Marais are right outside the door. Just don't settle for room 32.

jewelldday Mar 15th, 2004 06:26 AM

Stayed there in April 2001. We had a top floor room with balcony that overlooked the street. There was a marathon going at the time that was fun to watch from the balcony. The room itself was very small but very charming. Enough room to walk around either side of the bed. I can't remember exactly how much we paid, about 120 USD. Great location and good breakfast. We are leaving on Thursday for Paris with our kids and are staying at the Hotel du Lys in the 6th. Hope this helps.

skaf Mar 20th, 2004 02:06 AM

stayed at a backside room, because i wanted a quite one.
the owner told me when i booked that the front rooms are bigger, but traveling alone with a small suitcase it was big enough for me. (and yes it is a little dark).
the street is nice so if you are two take a front one.
nice hotel,very good breakfast and the best location.
Allen is very friendly. the woman too.
have fun.

francophile03 Jun 10th, 2004 06:04 AM

There is one very bad comment dated June 7, 2004. Sorry, I can't post the link but in general it says that the guest checked in and sat on the bed finding it wet due to the previous guest's accident, was promptly grossed out. Then the guest claimed one of the owners (the father) barged into their room prompting the guest to almost throw him out. Not sure of the validity of these comments but if true that's really horrible.

susanna Jun 10th, 2004 06:22 AM

I have stayed in this hotel once. We were able to get a room with a balcony, I believe there are only a couple, maybe 4. The balcony is extremely small, a mini table with two mini folding chairs, but still it is a balcony. These rooms have a doubleish bed, the slightly bigger rooms have two twins, the smallest, quietest, and darkest rooms are on the back side. I think that there are only 3 rooms to a floor, two in front and one facing the back. The room is small but has everything you need, we found it very clean. For all that I had read about this hotel, I did not find the staff extremly friendly, nor did I love staying in this neighborhood...I have since gone back to the left bank area. Hope this helps.

JackieA Jun 10th, 2004 08:51 AM

We stayed here in 2002. We had a room in the front with two twin beds,desk and bench for luggage.No balcony and somewhere on a middle floor. The view was of clothing stores,a bakery, the street and the apartments directly in front.I loved it and it was worth it to me, rather then an air shaft view.Particulary enjoyed the cat watching us watch him as he roamed the apartment roof going in and out of windows.

Boonie Jun 10th, 2004 10:04 AM

Stayed here with my college-aged daughter for 5 nights last November (2003). We had
a twin-bedded room facing the street on
a middle floor. Room was smallish, but
adequate, and bathroom fine. Location
is very convenient to Metro, allowing easy
transport all over Paris. Found the father/
son owners to be very accommodating.
Very polite to us, and noticed they assisted
other guests with various needs, e.g. packing/shipping a large painting, etc. Enjoyed the neighborhood, even though I
am more familiar with the left bank. Good value for the money.