Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Hotel Carlton Executive-Venice (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/hotel-carlton-executive-venice-79940/)

Lisa Jul 19th, 2000 06:26 AM

Hotel Carlton Executive-Venice

Has anyone ever stayed here? We are honeymooning and want to know if this is a good choice...another is the Bisanzio...

chrissy Jul 19th, 2000 07:34 AM

i never stayed there but the hotel is directly across from the train station (it's the first hotel we saw) Not the best location (not near st marks) but no lcation is horrible in venice

richard j vicek Jul 20th, 2000 12:12 PM

Good afternoon, Lisa <BR>Stayed at the Carlton Excutive (old Germania) when in the mid 70's it <BR>changed names and was total remodelled <BR>within. True it is located just across <BR>the Grand Canal from the Venice S&gt; Station, vaporetto stop on station side <BR>and by crossing the bridge and walking <BR>up the calle's can get to the Rialto <BR>Bridge in about 10 to 15 mins and another 10 min walk to the Pza S. Marco. <BR>Plenty of ristorantes and shops around. <BR>The BISANZIO is a three star hotel with <BR>40 rooms, located on the Riva Degli Schiavoni which runs for approx. 4 blocks east of the Pza S. Marco. A much <BR>better location near S. Marco. and on <BR>the Bacino di San Marco, if you get a <BR>room with a water view would be very <BR>nice with S. Giorgio Maggiore and Giudecca in the distance... <BR>If you need a couple of ristorante suggestions e mail me and will reply <BR>promptly. Richard of La Grange Park, Il.. <BR>

Mary Jul 20th, 2000 12:56 PM

Lisa: <BR>My husband and I stayed at the Bisanzio in October 1999. It is a very nice hotel with an extremely helpful staff. When we were there last year, they were working on the courtyard, but I'm sure they must be finished by now. <BR>It is set back from the lagoon, so no views of the water, but it is a straight shot from the San Zaccaria (sp) vaparetto stop, and just steps from the San Marco stop. A very convenient feature in Venice as they are the last stops and the boats empty there - that way it's easy to get a front seat for the best views of the canal. <BR>Trattorias and Ristorantes are fabulous in this area of Venice, just ask the concierge to recommend one and make reservations for you. We spent 3 nights in Venice and each meal was better than the last. We only wished we had planned on more time for the most romantic and beautiful city in the world. Your honeymoon will surely be a splendid memory for you and your groom. <BR> <BR>Mary <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>

lisa Jul 21st, 2000 07:10 AM

Richard and Mary- <BR>It sounds like the Bizanzio is a good choice for us...would you folks opt for that hotel over the Carlton? we have a room being held for us at the Bizanzio with a terrace...and Richard, I would love your suggestions for restaurants! Thanks to you both!