Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Hotel cancellation last couple days of stay (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/hotel-cancellation-last-couple-days-of-stay-421084/)

Princess Apr 10th, 2004 05:17 PM

Hotel cancellation last couple days of stay

What has been your experience with this cancellation of your last few days of a reservation. You have arrived, but decide that your stay will be too long to finish it out. Are you charged anything? I know that if one doesn't show up for a reservation made with sufficient time, then 1 night is charged to your Credit Card. I need to know soon. (We may have to work at getting an earlier anticipated departure due to booked flights, since we go stand by.)

AAFrequentFlyer Apr 10th, 2004 06:06 PM

It all depends on the resrevation policy of the particular hotel.

In cases when it's the regular, same day cancellation policy, no problems. Just tell the front desk on the morning of the check-out day that you need to leave.

If the hotel has 24, 48, 72 or? hours cancellation policy, I would suggest notifying the front desk before the deadline passes.

And finally, most hotels will not have a problem with early ceck-out as long as you stayed for at least a night or 2. After all you could always use <i>(pick one)</i> - <b>bad service, not satisfactory, dirty rooms, etc. </b> excuse. That's the last resort, because as I stated, you probably won't have any problems.

The <b>ONLY</b> time you may run into a problem is on a pre-paid or non-cancellable stay. If it's a pre-paid stay, such as an internet special on the hotel site or Priceline, Hotwire or few other such services, you are pretty much out of luck. Also many resorts during a high season, especially the smaller ones in a very popular destination may have very strict policies. They just can't afford to hold rooms for somebody while turning away many others just to have the person reserve a week and leave after 3-4 or whatever days. Make sure you familiarize yourself with the hotel/resort policies before making a booking.

Iregeo Apr 10th, 2004 06:15 PM

Princess, I've done it only once, in Tuscany. We were scheduled to stay 4 nights, and three were enough for us. We had paid a non-refundable, first night's deposit months in advance and the proprietor had no problem or penalty to let us leave early. I don't think there's a hard and fast rule.

amp322 Apr 10th, 2004 07:41 PM

I checked out early from a dump of a hotel in Rome, last summer. No problem, no extra charges, etc. You can always make up some emergency excuse. As stated before, check the general cancellation policy. If it doesn't say anything about early checkout penalty, don't worry about it, and try to just tell them a day before.

ira Apr 11th, 2004 07:43 AM

Hi Princess,

Check the cancellation policy. If it is 24 or 48 hr, let the hotel know the moment you arrive.