Hotels in Edinburgh

Search

Hotels in Edinburgh

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14th, 2015, 08:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotels in Edinburgh

My wife and I are spending a week in Edinburgh in late September. As seniors we are looking for a hotel within easy reach of the main tourist spots and which has all the creature comforts. For us a nice hotel is a major component of any trip. We are looking at 4,5 star hotels such as the Scotsman(which has no A/C but assume that won't be a problem in September), G&V, Radisson Blu, the George, the Balmoral(which is probably too pricey), etc. We would appreciate comments and suggestions from travelers who have experienced these and other comparable hotels. I trust comments in this forum more than TripAdvisor.
Old Apr 14th, 2015, 08:18 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I trusted TA and hence booked the Rutland for our trip in August.
Old Apr 14th, 2015, 08:32 AM

There is no reason not to trust TA. Take with a pinch of salt any mad rants that seem to be overly nit picky and any glowing praise that sounds like it might be a shill. Lack of specific examples of either good or bad service or facilities is another red flag. The vast majority of reviews don't fall into these categories, and together with candid traveller photos and staff responses to gripes should easily help you make your choice. If you are extremely risk averse and a hotel has limited reviews then don't book it.
Old Apr 14th, 2015, 08:42 AM

We enjoyed our four night stay at The Bonham last October. Our room was large and beautifully furnished with a great view.
Old Apr 14th, 2015, 08:58 AM

We had a great stay at the Waldorf-Astoria The Caledonian last December. Had two premium king rooms which were both very large and comfortable. Would absolutely stay here again without hesitation.
Old Apr 14th, 2015, 09:27 AM

We are also going in September and had trouble finding a hotel we liked in the main tourist area as so many were booked. We looked at The George and a few others and finally settled on the Waldorf-Astoria Caledonian mainly due to the location and reviews we read.
Glad to see Weekender enjoyed his visit.
Old Apr 14th, 2015, 11:33 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips. My experience with TA has been mixed. We stayed in one of their top five hotels in Venice last year and, other than its location on the canal, it was awful.
Old Apr 14th, 2015, 12:09 PM

The Scotsman has just anounced that it will be extending the property, how and when that will be i have no idea but it is a very good hotel in a great location. radisson blu is also an excellent location , only ever been there for seminars and work related exhibitions. the george hotel is a traditional higher end place, personally i think it is over rated but i only have been there for private functions.the Balmoral is at the top end of hotels in the city great location but expensive a place i have only ever been in for functions and it costs a fortune for a drink in the bar.
A/C is seldom a problem in the city i have lived in the city on and off for nearly 60 years and i reckon in all that time A/c would have been needed on less than 5 nights per year.
It is worth considering a place slightly away from the main toursit area, Edinburgh is a small city and is very walkable, the local bus service is superb and cheap and very easy to use.
Old Apr 14th, 2015, 01:40 PM

Stayed at The George for work last year, good value, great location.., nothing fancy but would stay again for sure.
How about Tigerlily, cute hotel in the heart of the City?
Old Apr 14th, 2015, 02:09 PM

I stayed at the Balmoral on my last trip. I booked the standard room. It was a nice size with a large marble bath room. The staff was excellent, very welcoming. I would highly recommend it if the price works out for you.Depending on when you book and the days of the week, you might be able to get a decent ( for the Balmoral ) price. I've booked it again for my upcoming trip but just for one night before I head off on a tour. I did have a nice dinner in their Brasserie for what I considered a fair price, but prices are always relative to one's budget. There are some good places to eat nearby that are very reasonable. After careful research of all options, I've booked the Scotsman for two nights when I return from my tour. Got a good price on www.booking.com The Balmoral has an excellent location as does the Scotsman.
Old Apr 20th, 2015, 11:08 AM

I would read this article in the local evening news abiout the Scotsman hotel,looks like the company could be in trouble.
http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.co...late-1-3747292