Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Hotel Brouwer or Amistad Hotel in Amsterdam, have you stayed here? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/hotel-brouwer-or-amistad-hotel-in-amsterdam-have-you-stayed-here-754459/)

InMiami Dec 22nd, 2007 05:31 AM

Hotel Brouwer or Amistad Hotel in Amsterdam, have you stayed here?

We are visiting Amsterdam for 5 days; September 5 -10.

Unfortunately at the same time as their big convention. I can not change the dates.

These are two of the few affordable hotels that still have openings.
Does anyone have experience with either of these?

Travelnut Dec 22nd, 2007 05:44 AM

I haven't stayed there but the Brouwer is well-accepted by those who enjoy a plain-but-clean accommodation, and can get along without an elevator or a TV in the room. It's a very good location, too.

At least you know about the IBC and are planning ahead!

Travelnut Dec 22nd, 2007 05:50 AM

I would grab it even if unsure while continuing to look around.

Travelnut Dec 22nd, 2007 06:14 AM

I found another decent option for you to look at - I listed their highest price b/c that is probably what they'll charge for convention period...

Hotal Aalders - Jan Luykenstraat 13-15
Med Dbl 139€ / Lrg Dbl 169€ - fill out form
http://www.hotelaalders.nl/en_site/

TA reviews mention the Amistad as being a 'gay' hotel, which may or may not affect your outlook....

InMiami Dec 22nd, 2007 01:41 PM

Travelnut, thanks for your prompt response to my inquiry. I tried making a reservation at the Aalder in October but they were already full. I just sent another request in case there has been a cancellation.

The Brouwer receives good reviews at TA but not having a news channel or WiFi connection for 5 days is a consideration.

The fact that the Amistad is gay is not a problem but the fact that one has to make their own breakfast and then wash their dishes for 139 E/night is a negative.

In any case hopefully the Aalder will have a cancellation. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

basingstoke2 Dec 22nd, 2007 02:05 PM

An alternative to staying in Amsterdam is to stay in nearby Haarlem. It is about a 15 minute train ride away and the trains run very often. You should get more for your money there. For example we plan to stay at Hotel Stempels where rooms start at 85 E. They have flat screen tv and wifi. Our Dutch neighbor assures us that staying in Haarlem is a fine choice.

isabel Dec 22nd, 2007 02:54 PM

We stayed in The Brouwer a few years ago and were very happy, will probably stay there next year when I go back. It felt like I was staying in a real house rather than a hotel. Nice breakfast and nice people too.

InMiami Dec 22nd, 2007 04:13 PM

basingstoke2, I agree that we probably would get better accommodations in Haarlem but I think we would prefer to be right in Amsterdam.

Isabel, what room did you stay in while at the Brouwer? We have reserved the Escher room which is on the top floor. By any chance did you see that room? Also, what are our chances of snagging a WiFi connection from our open window? I am being very optimistic here!

Travelnut Dec 22nd, 2007 04:19 PM

We stayed off Vondelpark and couldn't find any unsecured sites....paid 5E/hour from the hotel.

Brussels, on the other hand, was a free ride all day long.

kismetchimera Dec 22nd, 2007 07:24 PM

This past June we spent four days at the Brower..The location is super, the people are very friendly, the rooms and bathrooms are very clean, and yes it does have an elevator.
Is not fancy but for the price is a true Jewel.

InMiami Dec 23rd, 2007 04:46 AM

I received a response from the Aalders, no openings. The "Between Art and Kitsch" guesthouse does have openings but now I am reading some negative reviews.

The Brouwer continues to get good reviews so perhaps I can hope for increased WiFi similar to Bussels or just get out to a Wifi hot spot.

Kismetchimera; what room did you stay in? Have you seen the Escher room?

isabel Dec 23rd, 2007 09:31 AM

I don't recall the name of the rooms. I actually stayed in two rooms due to a booking mistake on my part. I originally asked for a single and at the last minute needed a double. They had a double for two of my three nights and then moved us to a single the last night but gave us a cot. They were very accomodating. I have no idea if you'd get a signal through an open window, but the buildings are all close together so maybe. I'm sure there are internet cafes all over the city.

Here's a photo of the hotel - www.pbase.com/annforcier/image/27988891

And this is the view from my window - www.pbase.com/annforcier/image/27988894/original

InMiami Dec 23rd, 2007 09:51 AM

Isabel, what a wonderful photo collection! Thank you so much for sharing, now I am ready for Amsterdam where ever I stay!

Holly_uncasdewar Dec 23rd, 2007 10:29 AM

Nice photos, Isabel.

bilboburgler Dec 23rd, 2007 11:29 AM

Hotel is lovely and staff very helpful

kismetchimera Dec 23rd, 2007 01:32 PM

InMiami,
I dont remember the painter name but my room was located on the second floor.

Every room has a View of the canal, also it had the best reading bright lights, something that many hotels even the more expensive, lack to provide, and make reading a very difficult task.

melva Jan 22nd, 2008 10:33 PM

The last time we were in Amsterdam, we stayed at the Brouwer, in the Escher room, it was very nice..the view from up there was wonderful. We were there for over a week, and they let us use a TV...the bathroom was wonderful, nice big tub..(a rarity there) Nice people we plan to stay there, next time we go to Amsterdam.

kismetchimera Jan 23rd, 2008 06:13 AM

This past June my grandaughter and I stayed for four days at the Brower.This is a no frills Frills Hotel but for the price is a true jewel.Every room has a view of the canal, is very clean and the staff is very friendly .
However, is very basic, not tv, but there is a PC near the kitchen, also the location is super.

kismetchimera Jan 23rd, 2008 07:31 AM

Ooops, Pardon Ma Gaffe..I should have scrolled up before answering again this post..:):)

ms_go Jan 23rd, 2008 07:38 AM

About 16 months ago, I emailed Hotel Brouwer twice to inquire about availability for an upcoming trip, but I never received a response.

Interestingly, two days ago, I received an email from Heeii (a smart-surfing Internet browser extension), which apparently acquired my email address from Hotel Brouwer and was offering me a chance to win a free weekend's stay if I downloaded the application (I did not). Am wondering if anyone else who's emailed Hotel Brouwer in the last few years received the same? I've emailed many hotels over the past 10 or so years and have never had this happen.