Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Hotel Bersolys or Grand Hotel des Balcons in Paris?

Sep 7th, 2000, 05:13 PM
Kathryn

We've had an abundance of luck and both of these hotels are available for the time of our Paris visit. Bersolys seems to be a bit better located (near Musee d'Orsay);both hotels are well-liked on this forum. Your opinions, please!
Kathryn

Sep 8th, 2000, 04:22 AM
Monica

Hello Kathryn,

I do not know about Hotel Bersolys. I enjoyed my stay in Balcons last year and will return there again next month. Paris is very easy to get around. Walking is the best way to see the sights along the way. My Mom and I walked to d'Orsay from our hotel Balcons one morning and it took us a leisurly 20 minutes to get there. I liked the area around Balcons, especially being so close to the Odeon metro and the St. Michel RER. With Balcons, you are close to the Luxembourg gardens, the sights around the 5th Arr. It's my choice of location. I hope this helps. Just remember the metro is another great way of transportation, so if you choose Bersolys, you'll be fine.

Sep 8th, 2000, 07:49 AM
s.fowler

As the Bersoly's advocate on this forum let me chime in! I think it's a bit more $$$ than Balcons, about $116 USD a night for a double. The metro isn't as convenient as some locations, *BUT* you can walk easily to Musee d'Orsay, the Louvre, Notre Dame, St. Chapelle, St. Germaine shopping etc... and there are wonderful restaurants and cafes and wine bars within the same easy radius. [The hotel will be happy to recommend some.]I'm defining "easy" as 2-5 blocks.
We love Bersoly's and would have a hard time considering another hotel. [And this is from the person who likes to change neighborhoods every visit!] If you have any more questions please feel free to email me.

Sep 8th, 2000, 09:03 AM
Thyra

I willhave to vote for Grand Hotel des Balcons! It right next to the Luxembourg Gardens the rooms are great, staff delightful and the breakfast room can't be beat! All art Deco plus, they serve a terrific breakfast that includes baked brie. I have recommended this hotel many times and the people who have stayed there are always thrilled.

Sep 8th, 2000, 08:18 PM
adrienne

Thyra,

Is the baked brie at breakfast something new at Hotel des Balcons? I've stayed there twice and never saw it served. The last time I was there was about three years ago. I'm considering Balcons again next summer when I return to Paris but also thought I'd try something different in the same area - I'm undecided. Do you know anything about Hotel Odeon (not Odeon Michelet which is above my budget), just up the street by the theater?

Thanks,

Adrienne