Hotel Bellevue Syrene - Sorrento

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16th, 2003, 05:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am new to the board but have been reading a lot of messages and found some very interesting information. My wife and I are will be spending 8 nights in Sorrento this September and plan to stay at the Bellevue Styrene Hotel. I have read good and bad (mostly good) reports about this hotel. Has anyone stayed there recently and if so, what did you think of it. We want to be close to town and would also like to have a nice view. We have requested a sea view room. Is there anything that we should do in advance to be sure that we get a good room?
I have some other questions but will ask them in a separate message.
Thanks for your help.
Old Jun 16th, 2003, 02:24 PM

Hi NJPaul,

My wife and I were there 2 years ago in July. For location, it's terrific, about 4 minute walk to center of town. The views are great. Our room had a sea view and a small balcony, was about $200-250/night if I recall. The balcony wall was not 'see through' though, the best view was standing up. We got a surprise our first night when a bottle of champagne was delivered to our room free. At night, a piano player (Sabastiano) entertained us, great guy. Nice restaurant and service. Enjoy.
Old Jun 16th, 2003, 02:50 PM

We stayed there two years ago. We had a room with a balcony similar to what mikewalsh has described. Room was not large and did not look anything like the one pictured on their website. Be careful if you go out on the balcony and close the door - they cannot be opened from the outside. Do a search here and you can read the whole story posted as Mari. Location is great and the view is magnificent but the room was not what I was expecting.

You will love Italy, Sorrento, and the Amalfi coast. Enjoy your trip!
Old Jun 16th, 2003, 02:56 PM

Mikewalsh, I just reread your message. We were at the Bellevue Syrene two years ago in July also. Perhaps you were the person who rescued me from being stuck out on the very hot and sunny balcony!
Old Jun 16th, 2003, 06:06 PM

We stayed at the Bellevue Syrene about three years ago and loved it ( I know you want more recent recommendations but hopefully you will get them and also hopefully, it had not changed.) for our first (of three nights) we were on the Garden side--great room but no view. Then we moved to the bay side---heaven!!! Room not as large as the non-view room but who cared. Our balcony was not at all obstructed as others have described. We sat there, with a view of Versuvius to die for and drank probalby a little too much wine, saying "it doesn't get much better!!" We loved this hotel. My only advice is that we found the manager/congierge to be very accomodating---let him know what you want and he will try to help you. Have a great time.
Old Jun 16th, 2003, 07:43 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I can provide a more recent report. We stayed there in October 2002 for five nights. We loved the location -- a short walk away from the crowded areas and very quiet. We didn't pop for a seaview room, but the Syrene is in a great position for a wonderful view. The view from the breakfast room is spectacular.

Across the hallway from our door was a small terrace with a view from Sorrento to Naples. We sat there for a few minutes each afternoon but otherwise didn't feel deprived sleeping in our hillside view room. The trade-off was that we could hear the piano player down in the bar.

The hotel also has a terrace running along the cliffside where we had a drink one afternoon.

The staff were a bit formal but very helpful. The breakfast buffet was terrific although the coffee was a little weak for us. There is internet access for guests.

Our only true gripe was the shower, but Italian showers have become a running joke for us. This shower was small with a curtain running along two sides. No matter what we tried, either the curtain got up-close-and-personal or the floor puddled. But we've experienced much worse, so it was no biggie.

If you go, please give a scratch to the hotel mascot, a calico kitty named Poppea. I wanted to take her with me.