Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Hotel Bathtubs - Please tell me I'm NOT ridiculous and "obsessive" !!

Aug 20th, 2001, 05:20 PM
Sherri

Today at work while talking about travel plans, I said I have never and would never take a bath in a hotel bath tub. I only shower (everyday). In fact, I usally take a pair of zories or flipflops to wear in the shower. You never know who's been in that tub/shower and if it was cleaned well before you checked in!! Another woman agreed with me. Two other women told us we are "absolutely ridiculous" "weird" and "obsessively clean", blah, blah, blah!! I never take a bath except in my own home or my sister's or one close friend's. Always shower other places.

Okay .... so is that "weird"??? I don't think so!!!

Aug 20th, 2001, 05:39 PM
AlicetheMagyar

I agree with you 100%!!! I worked in many hotels. I would never ever take a bath in one, unless I personally cleaned it! Sometimes we were so rushed that if it looked cleaned we just wiped it down fast. Many times we were out of disinfect and our boss told us just use the window cleaner. I am not talking about low class dives either!! Also not just one hotel line, this happened at a few places I worked. We were also told not to change sheets for rooms where they were staying more than one night too. Alice

Aug 20th, 2001, 06:21 PM
wayne

we once stayed in a hotel in edinburgh with only a bath and two taps. it was too disgusting to bathe in so we used a drinking glass to bathe ourselves! you should see how we did it. cold water,hot water,rinse. it took me about 30 glasses and 30 minutes to complete this rudimentary bath.

Aug 20th, 2001, 07:09 PM
A.s

Yikes, i've taken hotel baths especially after a long day walking miles & miles, sore feet, etc...
I have of course taken inventory so to speak of the cleanliness of the room, etc . If it passes in my opinion a bath may be in order,
Many I do not.
If it si old I do not
happy travels

Aug 20th, 2001, 07:43 PM
Shelliac

Oh my god, do not scare me please!
I was planning on taking baths (I love all those oils, bubble bath and soap products) and soak my feet after all that walking. I am very picky about cleanliness and now that I read this I have panicked.
I am going to take a shower only and use flipflops also (now I have to take flipflops also).
Now, I just cannot imagine sitting or standing in a shower or bath where who knows what poeple did the night before we were there.

No Sherri you are not being ridiculous or obssessive, I agree 100% with you!

Shelliac

Aug 20th, 2001, 07:50 PM
anon

you know you guys could solve this by taking a can of lysol disinfectant bathroom cleaner with you.

the can wouldn't take up much room in your luggage and spritz....spray,,voila! clean tub!

Aug 20th, 2001, 10:13 PM
fran

There's no way I wouldn't take a hot bath in one of those fabulous, deep tubs in Paris hotels, especially after a hard day of walking around.

Aug 20th, 2001, 10:36 PM
mark

There are some things I prefer not to know. For example, I've seen ads for some kind of light that you can shine on a bedspread in a hotel room and it will indicate whether there are "bodily fluids" dried on the spread. I don't think I want to know this. Am I alone in this?

Aug 20th, 2001, 10:38 PM
diane

I seldom take baths at home--mainly showers--so it doesn't occur to me whether or not to bathe in a hotel. But I am much in favor of saving water and energy by not washing the sheets everyday for guests who are staying for several days. You don't change your sheets every day or even every three days at home, do you? I appreciated the cabins where we recently stayed in the Tetons (Wyoming) which had a card to leave on the pillow if you did NOT need the sheets to be changed. We stayed three days. In fact, I carefully made the bed each morning so that the cleaning staff would NOT remake the bed and tuck the top sheet in on the sides. Can anyone explain to me why they do that? When you pull it out, the bottom sheet comes out too. It drives me nuts!

Aug 20th, 2001, 11:20 PM
tahiti_bob

While travelling, do you cook your own food or do you dare go to restaurants?
I mean, who knows what's going on in the kitchen, like a guy who has got the flu, or dropping cigarette ashes in the food, or using rotten vegetables, or infected meat (mad cow disease), ...

Aug 21st, 2001, 03:26 AM
elaine

Sherri
We all have our little quirks and one thing that bothers me may not concern you, and vice-versa. Someone recently posted about taking along her own pillowcase to put over those much-used
airplane pillows, and while I'd never thought of it before, suddenly I can't believe that I've never brought my own pillowcase, which I'm planning to do in the future.
At home I'm a shower person, but once in Provence while traveling alone I decided to take a bath to use some of the lovely lavender bath products that the hotel had provided. The tub was wide and very deep, and I really luxuriated for a while. Then I found I couldn't get out of the tub!
It was so slick on the bottom and sides from the bath oil, and the sides of the tub were high above my reclining head, and I simply didn't have the upper arm strength to lift myself out! I had no traction on the bottom of my recently-pedicured feet. After a number of minutes of sliding around I really thought I'd still be there until the maid came in the next day. Finally, I grabbed a towel, wrapped it around a nearby towel bar, and hoisted myself out, praying that the towel bar was well-anchored. Haven't gone back to baths since.
Wow, true confessions, haven't thought of that embarrassing story for ages!

Now what was the question?

Aug 21st, 2001, 04:37 AM
anon

If you think about stuff like that too much, you'll never leave your house. Especially if you think about what goes on in restaurants. Anyone who has ever worked in a restaurant knows that the kitchens are not spotless, hygenic, germ free places!
Do you sit on the toilet seat? Do you use the cups provided in the bathroom? Do you bring your own sheets? Do you try on clothes in shops, that could've been tried on by some stinky, dirty person before you?

Aug 21st, 2001, 05:50 AM
Rex

What jumping on the bandwagon there is here! I can rarely resist playing devil's advocate - - so I will tell you exactly what you do NOT want to hear - - that you ARE ridiculous and obsessive.

This is a serious case of not understanding simple mathematics of dilution. Bath water contains bacteria. Period. Probably contains a significant fungus count as well. And virtually of all of such microorganisms come from you, not from the person who last inhabited the bathtub.

Let's say your body contains 50 billion bacteria on the surface (I'm not sure if this number is off by a factor of a thousand or a million - - it doesn't matter; it's a nice round number). And you bathe in a typical 50 liters of bath water (or maybe you only use 10 liters - - more power to you).

The bath water contains 1 billion bacteria per liter (or 1 million per milliliter) when you let it out. Under normal circumstances, there might be 10 milliliters left when it has self-drained, thus maybe 10 million bacteria. Even trivial rinsing out with the shower fixture might reduce this number to 1 million or even 0.1 million.

So you come along again with your own 50 billion again. The bath water will contain 99.995% your own bacteria, or maybe 99.9995% or maybe even 99.99995% - - the point is that the bacterial "exchange" is not much different than walking through your own backyard barefoot.

You might argue that normally, certain "intimate" surfaces don't come into contact with such an "exchange" of microorganisms. That's why you have an immune system.

The use of disinfectants and other anti-microbial chemicals is NOT the answer. For 100 years, humans have been SELECTING preferred survival for those "bugs" that are resistant to such chemicals. It's a much greater problem than "global warming" or countless other environmental bugaboos.

So leave your disinfectants, antimicrobial hand cleaners and wipes at home. Rinse out the tub before use if you wish and shower at the conclusion of your bath if you like the clean feeling it gives you. But don't ruin your travels with paranoid fears about simple hygiene.

I work in a neonatal intensive care unit, and sometimes wash my hands twenty times an hour. And the key is RUNNING water. Studies have shown that even ten seconds of "superficial" washing under RUNNING water (with its dilutional effect) is more effective than 30 seconds of soap lathering followed by a 2 second rinse.

Best wishes,

Rex Bickers, M.D.

Aug 21st, 2001, 06:59 AM
tom

Thank you Rex! I couldn't believe this thread. A dirty bath tub is the LAST thing one needs to worry about. How can some Americans be so obsessive about germs? Japanese have taken comunal baths for thousands of years - if bathing together doesn't kill them how can a bathtub???????

Aug 21st, 2001, 08:21 AM
janice

I like to think of travel as a way of making my immune system more robust - bring on the wierd stuff! (of course, I occasionally get food poisoning...)
Rex, are you married? If not, could I interest you in something - you are a man completely after my own heart!

Aug 21st, 2001, 09:07 AM
Capo

Great post, Rex!

I wonder though, if facts like the ones you presented really do much to allay the concerns of people who are fearful about catching germs?

(By the same token, do statistics about how safe air travel is really much to ally the concerns of people who are fearful of flying?)

Aug 21st, 2001, 09:16 AM
xxxxxxx

Judging by some of the comments in this & other threads some people would be better to take a spacesuit with them on holiday ! As previously stated no-one really knows what goes on in Restaurant kitchens so all those careful precautions will go for naught as soon as one eats out....

Aug 21st, 2001, 09:23 AM
ohoh

Have you ever stayed at a Hotel Nikko? I've been to the one in Beverly Hills and it had a huge shower with a seat in it, as well as a remarkable soaking tub that had to be 3 feet deep. I normally take showers at home (unless I have aches and flu symptoms). But that night I had a fabulous soak, while the next morning I washed my hair in that super shower! One of the coolest (cleanest?) business trips I've ever taken.

Aug 21st, 2001, 09:34 AM
huh?

Elaine, why didn't you take the stopper out of the tub and let the water drain away?

Aug 21st, 2001, 10:37 AM
Sherri

It's "Silly Sherri" again ..... the "ridiculous, obsessive, germ-fearing" traveler.

Thanks for your posts and your opinions. After reading the messages, especially "Rex's", I guess I need to re-think this "bath tub phobia" of mine.

And .... yes, I know that many restaurant kitchens are probably pretty yucky, that germs are also lurking on other places in the hotel room, but for some reason, that doesn't bother me. Like Elaine said ..... we all have certain "quirks".

Sherri

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO