Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Hotel, B&B, town for last night before leaving fom CDG

Jun 16th, 2006, 01:51 AM
Original Poster

Our flight leaves from CDG @ 1:20, and I'm wondering if we might want to stay close to the airport that night, instead of driving in from Amboise where we will staying.

Any recommendations as to a charming town, country hotel, B&B convenient to the airport, but not at the airport that would be an easy drive? We don't need a shuttle or transport, we would drop the rental car that morning.

This is our first trip to France, our main trip is to England and Wales, but we have added 5 days in France as one of my clients has offered to pay for part of it! Couldn't refuse!

Thanks!
Wrenwood
Jun 16th, 2006, 11:49 AM

Amboise has easy access to the motorway to Paris. If you depart by 8:00 you should be at CDG at least 2 hours before your flight. Just follow the signs toward Lille; you will travel on the outskirts of Paris but will avoid the Peripherique. There is a service station in CDG almost immediately after you enter the airport. If you are concerned about time, you may want to leave by 7:30.

I've done this many times and have yet to miss my flight.
Jun 16th, 2006, 12:58 PM

Wrenwood, I can recommend the B&B we stayed at near Senlis in Apremont. It is 30 minutes from CDG.

We stayed there for one night after a drive from Metz when we had to pick up our friends upon their arrival to France at CDG

The retired couple were a delight, the home although modern is located next to a farm where they train polo horses. Your host is an amateur photographer and the hostess does room scapes in miniature (or atleast that was their interests when we were there two years ago)

It is very small, two rooms available I believe, but we were very comfortable. We also chose table d'hotes as we didn't feel like exploring the area for a restaurant. The meal was fabulous home cooking and breakfast was no slouch either

Do I sound too enthusiastic, probably, but we had such a pleasant time at their home and I see they are still in the B&B business.

You can find them at www.gitesdefrance.fr then search the B&B's for Apremont. Their last name is Oisel.

I am sure you will find other listings for the area as well.

Deborah
Jun 24th, 2006, 07:44 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Deborah Ann, I wasn't able to find the B&B that you were talking about, can you find a direct link?

Since we are staying in Amboise for 4 days and using it as our base in the Loire Valley, we left the last night unbooked, figured we would spend a day headed towards CDG and stay the night somewhere else. So I'm curious as to what might be a good route and places to stay.

I had thought it might make sense to head east around Paris towards Disney, have found a few places to stay that are interesting, what to see on our last day on the way up?

Any suggestions appreciated!
Jun 24th, 2006, 08:08 AM

The charming town to stay not too far from CDG would be Senlis. It is used in lots of films which are supposed to take place in medieval times -- all they have to do is throw a little straw and horse manure on the cobblestones to take the center of town back 200 or 400 years.
It is on the autoroute only about 2 exits north of CDG, and if your imagination is running short, there is an Ibis Hotel right at the exit, only a few hundred meters from the medieval center of town.
Jun 24th, 2006, 09:52 AM

Kerouac, thanks for your Senlis/Ibis suggestion. I have printed it out and filed it away for future reference.
Jun 25th, 2006, 08:14 AM

wrenwood, try this address for the B&B in Apremont

http://webdeloire.gigaplanet.com/git...-Token.Action=

I have tried three times to post this to you today, ugh
Deborah
Jul 1st, 2006, 03:34 PM
Original Poster

Thanks DeboraAnn, will check it out!
Jul 19th, 2006, 04:14 PM
Original Poster

Well I have finally decided where we are staying, booked a room at Le Prieuré in Ermenonville. 20 minutes from CDG

http://www.guidesdecharme.com/fr/con...ement&bForce=1

Somewhere I read great reviews about it but I can't find where I read the visitors comments. (it wasn't Trip Advisor, they review a different Le Prieuré, one in Avignon),

I couldn't find any pictures or much information about Deborah Anns B&B, and for some reason
I never found very many places on the internet in Senlis, I was probably searching in the wrong places.

I think we may just scoot up to Ermenonville from Amboise and then spend the rest of the day in that area, see Senlis for sure, I've read several places that it is charming.

If anyone else has any suggestions of things to see and do in the area, or a restaurant recommendation for dinner, I'd love to hear from you!

Aug 2nd, 2006, 04:54 PM

wrenwood, many of the B&B's listed through the gites website have no pictures and very little information as you correctly state. Not a problem for us because we use the "this just seems like a good fit" method of choosing accommodations Have a great trip. Deborah
Aug 6th, 2006, 03:59 AM
Original Poster

Hi Deborah

I'm probably not as talented with the "good fit" feeling, without pictures ............last time I did that my husband looked at me and said something along the line of "Are you sure this is the place?"

So now I just play it safe!

We are really looking forward to our trip, England and Wales first, then a few days in France. Only 37 days until we leave!

Wrenwood