Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Hotel Avenida Palace or Bairro Alto Hotel in Lisbon

Jun 25th, 2015, 04:39 PM
Original Poster

Has anyone had experience with both that can make a recommendation? We will be staying in Lisbon the last night of our honeymoon. Both are in the Bairro Alto area and seem different but nice. Bairro Alto is more expensive and wondering if worth the extra money.
Thanks!
Jun 25th, 2015, 04:58 PM

Hotel Avenida Palace is just off the main square. A great location and we really appreciated our corner room looking out at the square.

Also loved the bar area.

Can't speak to the other hotel, but enjoy whatever hotel you chose.
Jun 25th, 2015, 11:15 PM

Have never stayed at either as way out of my budget, but the rooftop terrace at the Bairro Alto is absolutely worth a visit, especially at sunset!
Jun 26th, 2015, 07:51 AM

Avenida Palace is in Restauradores. It's THE classical hotel of Lisbon.
The choice depends on one detail. How much do you want to be in centre of nightlife entertainment? Bairro Alto Hotel offers easy access to Bairro Alto district, pink street, mercado da ribeira, baixa-chiado metro station, tram #18.
Avenida Palace is located in a more quiet place. Easy access to Rossio railways station (to/from Sintra), restauradores metro station, trams to/from belem.
I second Julia's comment about the roof terrace at Bairro Alto Hotel.
Jun 26th, 2015, 08:15 AM

If I had the option, I'd chose Avenida Palace for the historical significance.

By the end of 19th century, Rossio railways station was built at the same time as Avenida Palace, offering indoor access to distinguished guests (crowned heads and alike).

During the 2nd WW it was the headquarters of one of intelligence agencies (German if I record correctly).

Check http://www.historynet.com/lisbon-har...d-intrigue.htm
Jun 27th, 2015, 06:25 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the recommedations - I guess they ARE very different. One steeped in history and the other maybe more boutique.
I think my reservation in booking Avenida Palace is that all of the rooms in the same category are very different. Some look lovely and others not so much. I know that is par for the course in an older hotel but for my honeymoon I want to be sure I'd get one of the nicer rooms in that same category. For that reason I'm thinking maybe I stay at Bairro Alto and visit Avenida?
Jun 27th, 2015, 08:49 AM

Just returned...was there 10 days ago.

Avendia Palace area is very busy and noisy if your window is open.
Fine if you want to walk out your front door and be walking distance to many major sites.( and who doesn`t)

You can walk to both other major squares (Rossia and Figueira) which are both only about a block or two away.

Then you walk all the way down Rua (Street) Augusta to Commercial Square through the Augusta Victory Arch.

Take the Santa Justa Lift to the top.

This is only a block off Rua ( Street) Augusta...

BUT pay the 5 euro cost to go to the very top...if you pay the 3 euro price then once you get top lookout , you cannot walk up about 39 more steps to the very top open air, which offers the best views ever.

Also at the Augusta Victory Arch ,you can pay 2.5 euros and go to the top of the Arch for great views of the Commercial Square and Tagus River.

Walking the other way ( from Hotel Avendia at Restorers Square) you can walk down the treed lined Liberation Avenue to the Marquis of Pombal Roundabout with his statue in the centre.

Ok, cross the street and walk right in the middle Eduardo VII Park, it is nicely landscaped and the April 25th Monuments are about 4 block straight ahead..... also

the view back to the Tagus River a lovely.

But if you are going to be at Hotel Avendia , then

at the Restorers Square ( where the Avendia Hotel is) you will see the pink Hard Rock Café building.

Directly across the Square from the Hard Rock Café is the Gloria Funicular.

Take the Funicular up to the Garden Lookout point...nice views from here.

I was not charged going up and paid one euro coming down, you can walk going down if you want.

If you are pressed for time take a taxi to Belem to their lovely monuments and sights like the St. Jeronimos Monsatery.

Once you are here you have to try Portuguese number 1 pastry , at the Original Café named

Pasties de nata de Belem,it is only a block from the St. Jeronimos Monastery on the same street. It has a blue canopy, you cannot miss it.

( Of course if you go up to the Castle the views from the terrace back to your hotel and square are superb.)
Jun 27th, 2015, 09:15 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much Percy - LOVE these recommendations!!
Jun 27th, 2015, 12:09 PM

I have not stayed in neither, but BA would be my choice for the location.
( most of my four nights in Lisbon I spent around BA)
It is near the metro, fine restaurants and lively cafes.
AP location seemed more " downtown" .
Jun 27th, 2015, 12:11 PM

sorry...either