Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Hotel Au Violon, Basel (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/hotel-au-violon-basel-525101/)

francophile03 Apr 28th, 2005 11:49 AM

Hotel Au Violon, Basel

Hi, I noticed a couple of you have stayed at this former prison and police station. Just wanted to know if anyone stayed in a category B room how it was regarding amenities and comfort.

Thanks.

Travelnut Apr 28th, 2005 06:43 PM

We stayed in a Category B (two beds, ensuite, overlooking the square, TV) in October 2003. It's a neat hotel. Our room had a renovated bath with a fancy shower stall (no tub), creaky wooden floors, celery (sage?) colored walls, and a fair amount of room. The windows opened up onto the square (I'd have to go look up the name) but was quiet at night.

We didn't eat in the restaurant but it was very busy. Breakfast was ok, some homemade bread,jam, coffee,juice...

Note that you can enter the reception from two directions. One is to follow the road up the hill, into the church square and under an arch to the hotel's main entrance. Very lovely. The other is a small elevator from reception to the ground, opens to the outside, just off the square. Not sure if you could find it until you've taken it down from the lobby once.

We stay in inexpensive hotels and this was a very nice one.

Patrick Apr 28th, 2005 07:21 PM

We stayed there and loved it, but I have no idea what a "category B" room is. We weren't in one of the tiny "cell" rooms though.

I agree that it would be impossible to find this place from the main area "below". We arrived by taxi to the square above and then they showed us the elevator which will take you down to the lower street, but we'd never have found that on our own.

People rave about their restaurant, but it was closed for vacation when we were there.

francophile03 Apr 29th, 2005 05:36 AM

Thanks Travelnut & Patrick. I'm considering either this hotel or Hotel Basel.

BTilke Apr 29th, 2005 05:52 AM

I've stayed in the Hotel Basel a few times (and stayed for several weeks in an apartment a few doors away). It's a very nice hotel, the rooms have modern, stylish decor (but not ultramodern, ultratrendy; the decor is what I'd call "sensible" modern). Very good breakfast. Helpful staff.
Excellent location, a quiet area full of beautiful old buildings, fountains, and some cafes, yet only a block from the Marktplatz and several tram lines. Has a lively jazz bar (Sperber).
If you have your heart set on "old-world" style rooms, then the Hotel Basel isn't for you. Otherwise, I think you would be happy with either hotel--they're both appealing choices.

francophile03 Apr 29th, 2005 07:32 AM

Thank you BTilke. Hotel Basel sounds like it's got alot of great qualities. Do you know if it is a very long walk from the train station to Hotel Basel?

BTilke Apr 29th, 2005 11:26 AM

I wouldn't do it with luggage. It would take about 15 minutes, I guess, perhaps a little more if there's a lot of pedestrian traffic. You can catch a tram from the station to the Marktplatz; the hotel is only a short block from there. Don't forget that both hotels will give you a pass for free public transportation in Basel during your stay. It's usually given to you when you check in. Keep it with you to show if there's a ticket check.

francophile03 Apr 29th, 2005 03:31 PM

Thanks again. No, I won't need to carry luggage so that's good. They did mention the mobility pass which is a nice thing. I wish other cities had this.