Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Hotel Ascot London and Hotels for about 125 US (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/hotel-ascot-london-and-hotels-for-about-125-us-447454/)

frankdaddy Oct 20th, 2008 05:23 PM

Hotel Ascot London and Hotels for about 125 US

I am going to London first week of December and would like to stay at a nice hotel for about 125 US a night. I have stayed at Hotel Ascot about 10 years ago near Hyde Park and would not mind staying there again but have only seen some bad reviews. Anyone have any suggestions? I will be taking the tube to travel so near a tube stop will be nice. I want to stay in a nice neighborhood. Anywhere near that location by Hyde Park or one as nice as that would be fine.

taggie Oct 20th, 2008 09:53 PM

Please do a search on here for "London hotels" or something similar. The topic has been addressed a zillion times and you will find many other threads an suggestions.

You should try Priceline, maybe for the Kensington area. I noticed the other day that people were having successful bids around the $85 US mark for 4 star hotels in Kensington. The regular rates would be about double that.

The Ascot is in Bayswater/Paddington, north of Hyde Park. I personally don't like that area very much. I prefer to be on the south side of Hyde and Kensington Parks.

Almost any hotel in central London will be near a tube stop.

Carrybean Oct 21st, 2008 01:57 AM

Taggie's right. Check out
www.betterbidding.com or www.biddingfortravel.com first for strategies on Priceline bidding.

janisj Oct 21st, 2008 09:50 AM

a down market property like the Ascot for $125-ish - OR - a 4-star, full service hotel for about $100? :?

I know which I'd pick.

For budget travel to London, Priceline really is the way to go.

frankdaddy Oct 23rd, 2008 08:53 AM

Thank you all for your replys. That is why I love this place for travel. All of you, make it so great. I thought I did a London Hotel search and got very little response, but will try again. I will also concentrate my search near Kensington as taggie recommended. I will also look to the other travel bidding sites. I have been reluctant to try the bidding sites since I like to know where I am staying, when I pay for it. Is there a site that is almost as good as Priceline but I can actually see what I am buying? Thanks again for your input.

janisj Oct 23rd, 2008 09:05 AM

Hotwire is another option. You won't know which hotel you got until after it is booked - but you can usually figure out which one it is by the specific description.

I don't recommend Priceline everywhere - but for London it really is great. The public transport is so good that any hotel w/i the Circle tube line (basically zone 1) will be convenient to any sites. So the trade off of not knowing which hotel is offset by getting a TERRIFIC bargain for a centrally located hotel.

janisj Oct 23rd, 2008 09:06 AM

Re Hotwire, I probably should have worded that "They don't tell you the name of the hotel, but you can usually figure it out"

yk Oct 23rd, 2008 09:07 AM

You can use the combo of hotwire.com and betterbidding.com.

On Hotwire, you choose a zone and a star level, but you won't find out which hotel it is. However, it will tell you what amenities the hotel offers.

With this info, you can then go to betterbidding.com and see if you can identify the hotel under the Hotwire Hotel list (using the combo of *, zone, and list of amenities).

I usually can get a deal better on Priceline than Hotwire, but Hotwire still is a much better deal than booking a hotel any other way.