Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Hotel Aressana, Santorini (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/hotel-aressana-santorini-541557/)

jurisdoctor Jul 4th, 2005 01:39 PM

Hotel Aressana, Santorini

Have you any comments about the Hotel Aressana in Fira, Santorini? There have not been any Fodor postings about the hotel in several years. I'm seeking the convenience of staying in Fira and a decent quality room and amenities. The hotel Loucas also sounds good, but we don't pack as light as we did before middle age, and I'm afraid we won't enjoy lugging our stuff (and ourselves) up and down the huge number of steps people have mentioned. Thanks for all comments.

brotherleelove2004 Jul 4th, 2005 04:27 PM

Try to determine if this hotel is near the road. If so, I suggest you keep looking because it gets quite noisy along the roads since Fira is the island hub and there's much traffic everywhere. Being awakened early in the morning by trucks, buses and noisy motorbikes is not my idea of a relaxing vacation. The fact that they offer parking is one clue, but isn't necessarily the last word.

takemewithu May 11th, 2014 10:05 AM

Bookmarking

clausar May 11th, 2014 10:32 AM

Aressana is a good hotel located near the church of Fira in a quiet location. It is not on the main road of Fira.

Even though it is very close to the caldera, the rooms have no caldera view.

brotherleelove2004 May 11th, 2014 02:35 PM

Original posting from 2005.

takemewithu May 11th, 2014 06:20 PM

Thanks for the feedback. I bookmarked the post hoping there will be some recent feedback. I'm thinking of booking our 3 nights in Santorini here. I found a double balcony/deluxe room for €99, taxes and breakfast included. Excellent T/A reviews and the fact that we are arriving at JTR at 8 pm and flying out 3 days later early in the morning makes me consider staying here. It is about 4 km from the airport and €12 by taxi. Although I'm initially looking for a room in Oia for the caldera and sunset views, I'm thinking we are going to be out and about anyway, we might just reserve a table with sunset view for dinner at one of the restaurants or bars in Oia and watch the sunset from there. Although room with a view is desirable in Oia, I'm willing to trade off to save several hundred euros and proximity to the airport. What do you think? Is the property inconveniently set back from from the road, but then this might be a positive?

brotherleelove2004 May 11th, 2014 08:29 PM

Aressana's location is not at all inconvenient. It's in the heart of Fira behind the Atlantis Hotel. Taxis can actually drive right up to it, or at least very close to it. That's rare when you're on the cliff. Atlantis blocks the view but it's just a few steps away.

takemewithu May 11th, 2014 10:48 PM

Thanks Brotherlee, just the kind of feedback I'm looking for. The property looks nice, modern and has some touches of luxury in pictures too, classified as boutique hotel in most guidebooks. just want to make sure I'll be happy with the decision to stay there because the reservation is non refundable and non cancelable.

littlejane May 12th, 2014 03:35 AM

It's quite quiet, I haven't stayed there in a few years but called in to have a look at it a couple of years ago and it had been totally revamped and was very nicely done out.

The pool is very pleasant, the only thing it doesn't have is a caldera view, although it nearly has the caldera prices!

takemewithu May 12th, 2014 06:50 AM

Littlejane, thanks for your feedback. I found a rate of €99/nt incld bfast and tax for a superior deluxe room with balcony. This is for the for the first week of Oct. Being in the beginning of low season, you think there might be caldera view rooms in Fira at some decent property for Bout this price? I checked Oia, the room rates for about this time is in the neighborhood of $400-500/nt. your input is greatly appreciated.

littlejane May 18th, 2014 06:43 AM

That sounds like a really good rate for the Aressana, though I have no experience of the low season prices, so can't really compare, sorry...

clausar May 18th, 2014 11:01 AM

I have visited Aressana several times, it is an excellent choice if you are ok with the fact that it has no caldera view.
The location is unbeatable, in the heart of Fira !.
There is no way you can find any other hotel of this class with caldera view for 99 Euro per night. !

takemewithu May 23rd, 2014 01:52 AM

Thanks for your feedback on Aressana. I probably lucked out on this rate. I came upon the "special" on a travelpony alert because I just checked with the hotel's website, the rate are much higher now for the exact dates I booked about 2 weeks ago. I booked directly with the hotel btw, and found the same rate that I saw on the travelpony alert. Based on your helpful feedback, I think I'm all set with our hotels...

Santorini - Aressana
Napflio - Pension Marianna
Kalambaka - Dellas Boutique Hotel
Athens - Hilton ( used HHonors points, so technically $0 cost )