COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Hotel/apartment/BnB recommendations in Dordogne

Old Apr 7th, 2019, 04:54 PM
Original Poster

We will be spending 6 nights in the Dordogne area from May 9-15 and are looking at either staying in Sarlat (which would be easy access to restaurants etc), or the surrounding area. We will have a rental car and do day trips to the sites. My husband is leaning toward wanting to stay in Sarlat, so that after a day of driving, we can walk to a restaurant, he can have some wine and not have to worry about driving. I worry that it will be crowded.

I have researched options from hotels, to apartments, to gites and B&Bs but was interested in any input from the members here. Thank you in advance for any suggestions.
Old Apr 7th, 2019, 05:07 PM

Following
Old Apr 7th, 2019, 06:13 PM
kja

I'm glad I stayed in Sarlat for all the reasons your husband mentioned! I stayed at the Hotel Montaigne, which isn't fancy, but served my needs very well and which still gets reasonably good reviews.
Old Apr 7th, 2019, 09:43 PM

For 6 nights, I would want to rent a place with a nice kitchen, living room, DR, garden, etc. This would allow me to go to one of Sarlat's outdoor farmer's markets, purchase some interesting stuff, and prepare a leisurely lunch and/or dinner a couple of times when I just don't want to go to a restaurant & instead relax at "home" I can't provide specifics for a place to stay in Sarlat - we stay just 20 mins from Sarlat in a gite near Cenac. We've rented 74 gites/houses throughout France for usually 2 weeks at a time, and this provides us with the luxury of slowing down & not having to "dress up" and eat at a restaurant for multiple days. When we do dine out - we splurge!!

Stu Dudley
Old Apr 8th, 2019, 12:19 AM

Here is where I would stay, but it could very well be booked already: http://www.lejardin-sarlat.com

It won't be terribly crowded in Sarlat in May. At least compared to mid- and late summer.

The Montaigne is a perfectly acceptable hotel choice - we stay there often - but I do agree renting a place would be preferable for a stay of that many days.
Old Apr 8th, 2019, 10:48 AM
Original Poster

Once again thank you for the information. I have emailed Le Jardin but am also going to pursue looking for rentals. Does anyone recommend a certain booking website to search for them?
I think that we would enjoy having our own place, now to just convince my husband!
Old Apr 8th, 2019, 11:27 AM

You are very late to be booking for this year. The good places are rented a year in advance. Your best bet is to use the official Sarlat Tourist Office site, which will have up-to-date information on many properties. Otherwise, you'll spend hours poking around on individual, and not always kosher, private websites.

http://www.sarlat-tourisme.com/en/holiday-rentals-2
Old Apr 8th, 2019, 12:16 PM

Many years ago I stayed at Villa des Consuls in Sarlat. It seems to get good reviews still, so you might want to check it out.
La Villa des Consuls ? Apartments and charming rooms in the middle of the medieval city of Sarlat
Old Apr 8th, 2019, 03:31 PM

Hi,

We stayed at one of the gites as part of the Domaine de Monrecour:
https://www.monrecour.com/hotel-chambres-chateau

There is also a hotel onsite with a wonderful restaurant. We loved our gite with access to the pool. We had a kitchen and were able to prepare some meals from ingredients from some of the local markets as mentioned by another poster. We really liked the location as it was very central to all of the sites we planned to visit (15 mins to Sarlat; 4 minutes to Beynac; 35 minutes to Lascaux). But you do need a car - there were walking paths but it is in the countryside.
Old Apr 8th, 2019, 11:52 PM

We spent 5 nights in Les Coredeliers Les Cordeliers | Bed and Breakfast in Sarlat - an idyllic B&B in the heart of Sarlat with wonderful hosts. It was also handy to access a free parking lot nearby (we also went in May and almost always secured a free spot).