Hotel anywhere in Malta - November

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4th, 2007, 10:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are looking for a hotel for 5 nights in Malta. We would like something with a special view, setting or service. The Xara in Mdina seemed like a good bet, but at more than $500 US a night, it is more than we would like to pay for off-season travel. Can anyone recommend someplace with character, good service and in a pleasant location?
Old Oct 4th, 2007, 12:29 PM
Amy

I loved the Hotel Castille in Valletta--charm and character to spare, but a bit eccentric as far as room quality--and really liked being situated in Valletta for the transportation options and the strolling. It's not luxury, but does have atmosphere, for sure...including a "cave" restaurant in the basement and a view of one of the Crusader's Inns that now houses government offices, right across the lane.

Malta is very special; have a great time! (I have a few pictures here if you'd like a little preview: http://community.webshots.com/user/missalg )

Old Oct 4th, 2007, 01:10 PM

I would also vote for staying in Valetta for the same reasons Amy mentioned (although I'm not familiar with the hotel). If you want late night activity then go up the coast to St. Julians.
Old Oct 4th, 2007, 01:37 PM

Check out the Westin Dragonara. Beautiful view and great location. I have some info on restaurants in Malta at http://www.bombasticlife.com

Have fun!
Old Oct 7th, 2007, 06:30 AM

We have been to Malta twice and enjoyed it. I have no hotels to recommend - we were at a 4 and a 3 star hotel and they were definitely of a poorer standard than in most of Europe (cheap though!). So I'd look for 5 stars.
Sliema is a good alternative to Valletta. It is fairly quiet, has many shops and restaurants and it is easy to go by bus or ferry to Valletta or walk to St. Julians. Most cruise ships (for instance harbour cruises) leave from Sliema.
Mdina is beautiful, but rather secluded and it takes an hour by bus to Sliema (or was it Valletta?).

I have posted a trip report at http://www.sitestory.dk/rejser/malta2005/indexe.htm, which might serve as inspiration.
Old Oct 8th, 2007, 08:23 AM
Original Poster

thanks to all for the input; it sounds like Valletta or someplace nearby (i guess many things are nearby in Malta!) is our best bet. An aside to Bombastic Life - how/why did you choose that screen name?