COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Hotel and restaurant reccos for one night in Toulouse

Old Apr 24th, 2019, 11:02 AM
Original Poster

Hello,
My son and I are arriving in Toulouse on a Saturday (by 1:00 PM) afternoon and flying out on Sunday,late morning. Because we are not pressed for time and I find ended a wonderful trip with a night at a airport hotel/restaurant terribly depressing, we will be spending that night in Toulouse.

We are looking for a mid range hotel downtown (hopefully easy to navigate to) with parking attached,or very nearby. I've read there are several parking lots/ramps near Place du Capitole and/or Place Wilson (I think). Does not need to be fancy,just comfortable and easy to get in/out. We would also like to finish our trip with a great final meal in France. Mid range restaurants serving local dishes hopefully walking distance to the hotel.

I'm posting here as Toulouse is a popular arrival/departure city for seeing the SW of France and I'm hoping I can get some responses from people who have looked for hotels and restaurants with the same criteria. Thanks in advance for any responses.

Best,
Vance
Old Apr 24th, 2019, 12:14 PM
Forum Moderator

Moved to Europe board
Old Apr 24th, 2019, 01:17 PM

We've dined in Toulouse several times. If you want to dine at an historic brasserie on the Place du Capitole - try Christian Constant's "Le Bibent". We've dined there twice. We've had dinner at two Michelin-starred restaurants in Toulouse, but our favorite restaurant is the "non-starred" "Emile". We've dined at Emile 3 times. Great cassoulet.

Stu Dudley
Old Apr 24th, 2019, 01:21 PM

I've stayed in the Mercure Place Wilson a couple times and really like that hotel. It's modern, but I like most Mercure hotels and it is comfortable. The good point is it is a very convenient location for sighseeing or restaurants or anything, within a short walk to the metro or stuff at place Capitole, etc.

I have no idea about parking, though, I think they do have a small private garage connected to the hotel (I believe underground). You'd probably have to check for vacancies. Would I call that super easy for driving, being in that location? Probably not but if you are considering going to place Capitole, that's even worse so more power to you. You may not mind driving in the center of big cities you don't know, though. There are a ton of one-way streets around there, and of course, it's the old center of the city, so streets are not big for the most part.

There is a shopping mall nearby which has 1000 spots, though, and I think it is easier to get to being more on a main street, if you want to check that out. I don't know if you are allowed to keep your car there overnight, though.
https://www.espacesaintgeorges.com/

There is also public parking at Jean Jaures metro stop which is a block away and yes, there is a garage under place du Capitole.
https://fr.parkindigo.com/parking/to...itole-31000100

as for restaurants, I just stick to basics myself, like steak-frites, so don't have any place to recommend with local specialities. I'm not real fond of SW French cuisine anyway, though,too heavy for me. There are several restaurant cafes around place du Capitole but I don't think they serve anything unusual.

this place nearby does serve regional dishes like cassoulet if you want to check it out
Restaurant Le Colombier Toulouse - Contact - Le Colombier Restaurant Toulouse
Old Apr 24th, 2019, 03:30 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Stu and Christina!! I'll spend some time looking at your recommendations.

Regards,
Vance
Old Apr 24th, 2019, 03:44 PM

I spent a few nights in the Crowne Plaza and liked the hotel and location. That's where I'll spend my last couple of nights later this year. But, I used points redemption. There is valet parking and self-parking at the Place du Capitole which is right by the hotel.