Reload this Page >

hotel and location in Munich

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9th, 2002, 11:51 AM
fran

Can anybody recommend a good hotel and what area should the hotel be in? I will be arriving by train and leaving by plane.

Old Jun 9th, 2002, 04:05 PM
Bob Brown

I liked the Astoria in Schwabing when I was there last year for several nights.<BR>The hotel is small, but the receptionist we dealt with spoke decent English. The breakfast is incredibly good.<BR>The location is just off of the main street in Schwabing on Nicolaistrasse.<BR>It is close to the Gieselastrasse Ubahn stop. However, if you have much luggage, I suggest a cab from the station. <BR>To get to the airport, we took a cab up to the Nord Friedhof stop for the Lufthansa bus. The stop is well known and the bus gets you right to the terminals at the Munich International Airport. <BR><BR>I plan on doing the same again this summer when I am in Munich.<BR>

Old Jun 9th, 2002, 04:13 PM
Betsy

Recommend that you choose a hotel near the Marienplatz. It's within walking distance of shoppings, sights, and restaurants. Loved the Viktualienmarkt, which is a huge interesting daily outdoor market very close by.

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 05:05 AM
Dick Yeager

Fran,<BR><BR>We just returned last Wednesday. I very much agree with Betsy. That market is something else. We stayed at the Hotel Torbraeu and were very impressed. It is right across the street from the Isator stop on the S-Bahn. It is close to everything. www.torbraeu.de.<BR><BR>Dick

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 05:28 AM
Dick (different one)

I'd like to second Dick Yeager's recommendation on the Torbrau. I was there in March - great rates, good room, and a location that can't be beat just down the street from Marienplatz and the Viktualienmarkt. Note, however, the correct spelling is Torbrau (umlaut over the "a" - I don't know how to show that), not Torbraeu.

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 05:32 AM
munchner

Torbraeu is correct. If you don't put the 2 dots over the letter, you follow it with an 'e'. <BR>Torbraeu = Torbr&auml;u

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 05:33 AM
germanboy

"Torbraeu" is the correct spelling, when you don't have a German keyboard.<BR><BR>ae equals the "a" with an umlaut.

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 06:32 AM
Dick

Thanks to munchner and germanboy for the additional information - I wasn't aware of that! Are there similar "rules" for the other letters that sometimes take an umlaut?

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 06:36 AM
munchner

Anytime there's an umlaut, you can leave it off and follow that letter with an 'e'. That's how it's typed without a German keyboard.